Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Starting The Journey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #17
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Starting the journey

James, I have seen curved (bent) yurt rafters lashed to the top of the wall lattice in photos. Is this what you are referring to when you say "..roof beam going into the ring that is different still just as strong."?

Is the 'roof beam' you mention a curved rafter, vs a typical straight rafter? The curved rafters I have seen in photos appear to be lashed to the top of the lattice. I assume that stops them from flipping over so the curve is facing down? In addition, if the curved rafter was square at the top, and fit into a square hole in the ring, that likely help hold the curve vertical.

Off topic. The rafters on the yurts I build are simply 1x3s, with a level cut at the top, that slide into 4" deep slots in the ring. They're impossible to flip.

The bottom of each rafter has a notch in it that sits on the lath cross. I have 5/16ths laths so the notch is about 3/4" in width, and 3/4" deep. We have high wind here. For bombproof anchor in high wind I tie wire the rafter onto the lath cross it sits on. No possible way that rafter is coming off.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None