Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

DIY Helical Piles

Old 02-27-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default DIY helical piles

Has anyone had experience using DIY helical piles as an alternative foundation for a

yurt platform

? I've seen some discussion on professionally-installed ground screws, but I came across 50" helical piers manufactured by Pylex that can be levered in without machinery. We live in Central NY and I was hoping to find a foundation alternative to four foot sonotube piers to get below the frost line for a 24' yurt that wouldn't require a yard of concrete. These seem pretty slick, but maybe too good to be true - has anyone worked with these?

https://pylex.com/en/produit/adjustable-pylex-50-black/

windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:16 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: DIY helical piles

windriver, I responded to your email. In case you did not get it,and wondering what is up, I am not posting here any longer.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 08:39 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

I've heard of folks using DIY helical piles for yurt platforms, and they can be a practical and eco-friendly choice. Those Pylex 50"" helical piers seem promising, especially if you're looking to avoid extensive concrete work. Since you're in Central NY, where frost can be a concern, going below the frost line is essential for a stable foundation. The helical piles should help with that, and not needing machinery is a big plus. It might be a good idea to reach out to others in your area who have used similar methods for their yurt platforms. Local insights can be invaluable, considering the specific climate and soil conditions.

Last edited by Jafo; 09-12-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Basitbulusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 06:44 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

I'm building next year and am looking at those piles. Got a quote for 32 piles that came in at $570 a pile. These piles are much more substantial than the pylex version. Also for the pylex you need to order a special part to get any uplift protection. I'll probably do a mix where I have the spendy piers for the yurts and the pylex for the smaller deck sections. I'm in MN so will be using the extension for sure.

Very interested if anyone has done something like this.
JFKoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:05 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

I don't know if you need a permit for your yurt, but if you do...it might be worth it to ask the zoning officer if the piles would satisfy any requirements. I'm basically in the catskills and they required a 42" concrete frost wall buried underneath my slab for mine...Just a thought to consider
yurtgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 06:44 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

They have extensions, I'm in MN and need to get below 5ft. Don't need a permit so that's good. Just concerned that the Pylex may be a little flimsy. Probably going to go with a more robust pier, had another bid come in at $450/pier.
JFKoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:53 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

What is The Most Difficult Part in helical Piles?

Last edited by Jafo; 03-09-2024 at 09:47 AM.
msgposthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 01:46 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

I've never installed them.

That said installing them to a builders line like standard post and beam frame piers for elevated deck might be a MAJOR hassle even in good conditions like soil with no rocks. Running a helical screw into the ground and getting it to line up under a beam, yeah no thanks. I envision a ton of frustration cussing and persuasion with a sledge hammer. No fun at all. JMO.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None