Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Great Lakes Yurt Co.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Great Lakes Yurt Co.

Hello all. I am hoping to buy a 30' yurt sometime in the next few months. I have been hoping to find a good used one but for around the same $$$$ I can buy one from Great Lakes Yurt Co. although I would still have to build my own platform. Looking for some input from others that have bought from them in terms of quality and satifaction with their prouct. One issue I have is that they don't supply a

dome

that opens which to me is a must have. Having said that I'm sure something can be worked out otherwise that would be a deal breaker. Anyway as I said looking for feedback on their product.
Thanks
DV

Dave E Bouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Great Lakes Yurt Co.

Well I guess I'm going to find out for myself. I just contracted with Great Lakes for a 30 footer. I have a spot cleared on some leased land very near the southern shores of Lake Huron. The adventure begins!
YurterRT likes this.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

After three years in your GLY, I would love to hear how things are going. I am considering buying from GLY and I am having a difficult time finding reviews.
soulEfulconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi there. Over all we are happy with this yurt. However there were a couple of disappointments and Im not sure I would use GLY again. First and foremost we were expecting a roof with a 37* angle and we got 23*. This pretty much eliminated any hope of adding a loft. The

dome

was also an issue. At the time of purchase GLY didn't make a dome that would open. I insisted that unless they could come up with an operating dome I would look elsewhere. They made me a dome that would open but it is pretty Mickey Mouse. It doesn't seal well so there's probably some significant heat loss in winter. It also leaked like a sieve. I had to get on top and silicone the heck out of the structural part that the dome itself attaches to because the rain water was leaking right through the wood. Another sore spot was the roof

insulation

. Again very Mickey Mouse! This is not to say that GLY hasn't done any further development and improved in these areas since then.

GLY was conveniently close and the price was better than from the big yurt manufacturers for me and that was a big reason I went with them. Looking back, for the same $$$$$ I think I would have gotten better value from

Fortress Yurts

. To me, in hindsight, I could have added a few options and included shipping for about the same price!

Hope this helps.
DF

Tags
great lakes yurt company