Old 05-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Starting the journey

Thanks for clarifying that the windows open. I short clutched on that. heh heh
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Member

Yes I seen that video, can I throw something out there we always talk and show the Mongolian yurt, but there are different yurts out there, like yome

dome

ontop of a yurt, but the little known one and historey, original the yurt had a tipi for the roof, the yellow man did not like the red man for some reason they got in a big fight the red man ran over here and only took the top of the yurt/ger, but there is another traditional yurt Kazakh yurt I build them to is the roof beam going into the ring that is different still just as strong, just wanted to throw that out there.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 05-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Member

Kilcregagh Girl
Yes I seen that video, can I throw something out there we always talk and show the Mongolian yurt, but there are different yurts out there, like yome

dome

ontop of a yurt, but the little known one and historey, original the yurt had a tipi for the roof, the yellow man did not like the red man for some reason they got in a big fight the red man ran over here and only took the top of the yurt/ger, but there is another traditional yurt Kazakh yurt I build them to is the roof beam going into the ring that is different still just as strong, just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:07 AM   #14
Yurt Forum Addict

"...there is another traditional yurt Kazakh yurt I build them to is the roof beam going into the ring that is different still just as strong, just wanted to throw that out there."

What?
Old 05-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Member

there is a graceful curve down where it meets the wall, everything else is the same, Kazakh is or was below Mongolia
YurterRT likes this.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:36 PM   #16
Yurt Forum Member

the curve gives you more head room but you still can keep the 5 foot wall you just bend a little to get into the ger/yurt then you have the head room to come flat against the wall where in a Mongolian yurt/ger 6 footer like me loose space up against the wall or we have to build bigger wall
YurterRT likes this.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #17
Yurt Forum Addict

James, I have seen curved (bent) yurt rafters lashed to the top of the wall lattice in photos. Is this what you are referring to when you say "..roof beam going into the ring that is different still just as strong."?

Is the 'roof beam' you mention a curved rafter, vs a typical straight rafter? The curved rafters I have seen in photos appear to be lashed to the top of the lattice. I assume that stops them from flipping over so the curve is facing down? In addition, if the curved rafter was square at the top, and fit into a square hole in the ring, that likely help hold the curve vertical.

Off topic. The rafters on the yurts I build are simply 1x3s, with a level cut at the top, that slide into 4" deep slots in the ring. They're impossible to flip.

The bottom of each rafter has a notch in it that sits on the lath cross. I have 5/16ths laths so the notch is about 3/4" in width, and 3/4" deep. We have high wind here. For bombproof anchor in high wind I tie wire the rafter onto the lath cross it sits on. No possible way that rafter is coming off.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #18
Yurt Forum Addict

If you want to see that rafter detail, lcopy and paste:

Bob Rowlands homemade yurt

Mine is the rustic yurt with the rafters either side of the green door. There are several detailed photos there.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:37 AM   #19
Yurt Forum Member

yes that is what I am refering to, but there is no typical yurt/ger, just different styles on the original, which we are not sure of, I still use round rafters not the square ones but the squares to round has a nice visual effect I am not sure if that would change the strength, but it is nice to look at.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:38 AM   #20
Yurt Forum Member

Bob I did not see the photo, the link to them

Tags
None