Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Powering the Yurt
Advanced Search

Heating A Yurt

Old 07-27-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Heating a yurt

I am building a 12’ Yurt for meditation and will use it year round. I live in the mountains and need to heat it in winter. Temps in winter can range anywhere from 0 degrees to 30 degrees. Because the space is so small I don’t need a building permit as long as I don’t install a

heating

system (e.g. mini split, wall heaters, etc). So I need something portable and also with the ability to set a schedule and timer to keep the temps low (45-50), and then automatically heat to 65-70 an hour or so before I use it. Does anyone know of a

heating

solution that will work under these circumstances?

Kgilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Heating a yurt

I'd put a portable propane heater in there, like the type used on construction sites. Nothing more than a common propane tank and a heater with valve that attaches to the tank. Fire that sucker up, go wide open on the valve and it will go from 0 to 70 in a minute. Then throttle down to low or turn off while contemplating your navel. lol Completely portable, affordable and no 'smart stat' required.
Kgilmer likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 07-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Have a friend that used that in his huge 14x16 wall tent in elk camp, in addition to use on site. Works extremely well. His sons still use that on site if heat isn't hooked up yet.
Kgilmer likes this.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks Bob! I just got the same idea from someone who heats a cold bedroom in their house. Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

One of the new houses my son and I carpentered on a few months ago didn't have the gas line in yet. Gas CO dragging its feet they march to their own drummer due to no competieion. Anyway one of the boys I mentioned above had his dads old propane heater in there on the basement slab. Remember this is in a large house not a 12' yurt. I get in there early and fire that dude wide open. Heat coming off that heater rivals Apollo 11 main stage. lol That's why I said wide open and a minute later it be hot. I kid you not prolly thirty seconds or less. MAJOR btus. Glad you go with it. It's not at all stinky like a kerosene salamander. Have fun.
Kgilmer likes this.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Ha ha!! I definitely don’t want salamanders in my meditation yurt when I’m contemplating my navel!
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

You have different options, you could use a diesel stove. Deluxe wall tents have them in their website. They aren't programmable but are CSA approved. You could go propane, but there will be humidity issues but a lot less set up involved. You could also use a wood stove, you'll have to find material to burn of course. It depends on what fits your criteria. Is the yurt insulated?
Kgilmer likes this.
itrheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes the yurt has an arctic

insulation

package so i’m Hoping it will keep the condensation at bay
Old 07-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

The issue with wood stove is getting the yurt warmed up quickly. My current yurt is 12'6" in diameter and the little Sierra Cricket wood stove I have in there takes awhile to warm it up. I'd say about fifteen minutes from get going to decent warm when it is below freezing outside. A propane system as I mentiomed above is like 'right now' fast. Farting around getting the wood stove going is a good way to unwind though. Plus dry wood heat is GREAT for drying out any

moisture

in the yurt.
YurterRT likes this.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Member

A non-vented propane heater will cause significant

moisture

, especially as the temperature drops.

I know of no way to regulate temp without a thermostat and none would meet your criteria.
Dawndancer likes this.
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating