Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt Insulation & Ventilation

Old 01-30-2024, 04:36 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt Insulation & Ventilation

I've read through several of the threads on this subject & haven't found anything that provides some decisive answers. A lot of "don't insulate yurts, you'll get mold" or "you could try X" with no clear results. I figured I'd ask & see if anyone can lend some insight into my specific situation.

Situation: We have erected 2 connected 30ft yurts for our small off grid farm. These are vinyl from the Great Lakes Yurt Co. Neither had

dome

openers, 1. because they don't offer them, & 2. I was unaware that they would be important.
We are in the arid west desert of Utah. Summer highs can be over 100 & winter lows can be -5 Fahrenheit.
These yurts are going to be our home for the next few years as we build out the farm. We are getting an occupancy permit from the county which requires we follow IRC, which requires a certain amount of

insulation

. We are using rigid foam board.
My yurts are about 3 ft off the ground. We are insulating the floors as well as the walls between the snow load posts & the ceiling. I understand that

moisture

buildup is a problem. We will have a full bathroom, kitchen, & heating/cooling to contribute to

moisture

. We also have 5 true window's in each yurt.

I understand it is necessary to create some kind of ventilation in order to prevent mold. I have some ideas to address this:

1. Is it difficult to install a

dome

lifter on an existing Yurt?
2. For the bathroom & kitchen I was going to install venting fans. will that be enough for their intended uses?
3. We were also going to install a ceiling fan under the domes for air circulation (reversible for circulating hot or cold air)
4. I was considering running some earth tubes up through the floor into the yurts. Theoretically this would provide ventilation without the air temp being ridiculously off. Anyone have experience with this?
5. Are there other ventilation options I should consider that have been highly successful?
6. Would installing an interior vapor barrier over the

insulation

help or just trap moisture?

Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

CatoRockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 06:36 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Yurt Insulation & Ventilation

7. Any other recommendations for air exchange systems that would be low to no energy intensive?
CatoRockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 06:33 PM   #3
Administrator

Default Re: Yurt Insulation & Ventilation

1. Is it difficult to install a dome lifter on an existing Yurt?

Probably not difficult if you can get one made for your yurt

2. For the bathroom & kitchen I was going to install venting fans. will that be enough for their intended uses?

I think so.

3. We were also going to install a ceiling fan under the domes for air circulation (reversible for circulating hot or cold air)

Will help with

heating

but probably not help much with condensation.

5. Are there other ventilation options I should consider that have been highly successful?

A through the wall vent kit would probably do what you need. I assume you are doing something similar in the bathroom.

6. Would installing an interior vapor barrier over the insulation help or just trap moisture?

Yeah, would likely just trap moisture.

7. Any other recommendations for air exchange systems that would be low to no energy intensive?

A dehumidifier might do the trick too.
TSRalex likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes yurt company, insulation