Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Poured Concrete Kitchen Countertops

Old 07-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Poured Concrete Kitchen Countertops

Hello,

Has anyone put in concrete countertops in their yurts? I'm looking to use Z counterform for my kitchen countertops and island countertop.

If you have, what system did you use? What kind of reinforcement material did you use (fiberglass, rebar, etc)? Did you stain it or dye it? What kind of concrete mix?

I also had a cabinet guy come out here to bid for a cabinet kitchen and island and he said he'd never use concrete on this type of foundation because any movement and it'll crack. I know that's why the concrete has the reinforcement in it but wondering if any of you have had this happen in your yurt?

I had originally wanted quartz but that's pretty expense, cheapest is $36 a square foot although with the white concrete countertop i'd want from Z Counterform, it might be the same amount of $$

Thank you kindly,
Paula
Western NC

paulacaceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Poured Concrete Kitchen Countertops

No comment on concrete tops because I am totally unfamiliar with them, other than having watched a couple youtube videos on the process. I set cabinets in one house about fifteen years ago that got concrete tops, but I just don't remember looking them over.

As for details about features and pricing, build techniques, and miscellaneous details it is always a good idea to talk with three contractors. They will be more than happy to talk about their work. Additionally all younger contractors have lots of photos of their work in their phones. Thanks for stopping by the forum! Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 07-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

I have poured concrete counters in my kitchen. I poured 2 slabs offsite 2ftx3ft using the method outlined in https://youtu.be/T7mYB6x68DY.

Because it is so small I’m not worried about reinforcement or cracking. After the pour I hand polished and then epoxied the slabs. In between the 2 slabs is a cement under-mounted apron sink. The total length of my counter top is 8ft.
TSRalex likes this.
Sapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:53 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

That sounds real nice. I'm also a fan of undermount sinks. Thanks for the video link Sapo!
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None