Administrator

Default Pacific Yurts Electric Dome Opener

Pacific Yurts

has just rolled out a new product: An electric

dome

opener. This small motor, connects to a shaft that will open and close the

dome

instead of using the manual crankshaft.

This is their first iteration of it and I installed it last week. It is an easy drop in replacement of your existing opener. It is literally just about removing 3 bolts, replacing the bracket and connecting the motor. It took me about 20 minutes to do it all.

First, I would like to say that I was very happy with the directions. There were more than enough photos to show you what to do, that really, you didn't even need to read the directions. That is a big plus for me. Seeing something done is better than reading about it when it comes to stuff like this.

In fact, it looked like they erred on the side of caution and used too many pictures. Hey, the more the merrier if you ask me!

So I guess many might be asking "Why even bother?"

Well first of all, removing the crankshaft from the view really does open up the yurt more and gives you more space. Second, for those who build lofts and other rooms in their yurts, this will make it a lot easier to open the dome instead of going upstairs every time you want to vent some heat/moisture. Third, it is much easier to use than the crankshaft which slips off sometimes. Fourth, it is just really cool and convenient!

This is their first go of it and I expect it to be a hit, especially for yurts that have power. Off-grid yurts will require power, but fortunately it does not use that much and can be wired into existing 12 volt systems or use the 110 AC power adapter.

It comes with a key fob so you can open and close the dome.

If this feature becomes popular, I would like to see them modify the product slightly to include buttons on the remote receiver that would allow you to open/close the dome without the key fob. One can only assume that someday you will either lose the fob, or the battery will die and you will not be able to open the dome until you get a replacement. Having buttons that could do this would be great. Again, not a big deal, but something I would like to see in the second iteration. You could easily upgrade the existing electric openers by just replacing the remote receiver with the new one.

Here is a video of my install:

TSRalex likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:15 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Question Re: Pacific Yurts Electric Dome Opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
Pacific Yurts has just rolled out a new product: An electric dome opener.
Here is a video of my install:
How many centimetres the dome is raising up with that?
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 12-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Pacific Yurts Electric Dome Opener

If I was to have one of those I would power it via a thermostat/humidistat would be great.
jo17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dome, pacific yurts