Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt In Denmark ?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #28
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Yurt in Denmark ?

FWIW my canvas came 'treated' with water repellent. That worked fantastic the first couple years. Shed water like a duck for 100 plus continuous weeks. Third year it wasn't beading anymore but still shed water great.

By the fourth year the canvas was really starting to get fully saturated during a good rain or snow, but not leaking into the inside. Now at five plus years the canvas doesn't repel water at all. Instantly gets soaked and drips off from the sags between roof rafters. Canvas still has some structural integrity but I'd say it is about half as strong -maybe less- as it was when new. For practical purposes anyone actually living in that yurt woud have needed to replace the canvas at four years. So that's the story of canvas here in the semi arid CO climate. Five years is past the limit. Four years is the real limit.

As such anyone that lives in the yurt past time say camping a month or two during hunting season will get a few decades of use out of their cover. I've said it many times, those that plan to make the yurt a permanent home over many years are wise to invest in a professional fifteen year cover. I just don't have the interest in redoing my cover anymore. The yurt will be dismantled sometime soon this fall and stored for my grandkids. My son has zero interest in the yurt.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None