Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt In Denmark ?

Old 08-21-2018, 03:41 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt in Denmark ?

we live in Denmark and looking for a yurt for my wife, little dog and i vi can live in the next years.

I would like to hear if there are any who know anything about delivery to Denmark.

I thought it should be 30 foot or larger.

Thank you in advance for your help

sorry for my bad English

Lars Lind

Last edited by kriger; 08-21-2018 at 04:00 AM.
kriger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:32 AM   #2
Administrator

Default re: Yurt in Denmark ?

Most of the major manufacturers will ship internationally, including

Groovy Yurts

Pacific Yurts

Colorado Yurts

, etc.. I think you will find quite a difference in pricing amongst them.

It depends on what type of yurt you're looking for too. An authentic traditional yurt MAY cost less because they can ship it from Mongolia direct to you, whereas an architectural yurt will most likely have to be shipped from the USA.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 08-21-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

thanks for the answer.

Is there any particular benefit from purchasing a modern Yurt ?

Can an original yurt not do well in winter?
Old 08-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriger View Post
Is there any particular benefit from purchasing a modern Yurt ?

It depends on your point of view and there is no one correct answer. If you want my opinion, here it is:

Modern yurts are far more durable and structurally sound than traditional yurts. They are built to engineered and tested specs and use modern materials. So a vinyl roof is going to last you at LEAST 15-20 years depending on location, whereas unless you are in a shaded desert, a traditional fabric roof/walls are lucky to last 5-7 years and will certainly stain long before that.

However, modern yurts are generally VERY heavy. They are not portable like traditional yurts, nor do they use much sustainable materials. IMO, the traditional yurts look much more beautiful but not as functional. So really some of this depends on you. Are you a form or function kind of person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriger View Post
Can an original yurt not do well in winter?
They can do fine if they are lived in year round. If they are not, then usually they have to be disassembled in the winter in areas with moderate to heavy snow. When a yurt is heated, the snow generally slides right off of it.

An engineered yurt, with the proper package, can withstand the heaviest of snows.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

I would rather have something that lasts and works well

Are there no European companies building modern yute?

Can you recommend some dealer within eu

It will be expensive to be sent from usa and there will also be tax in Denmark of 25% when it comes from Eu
Old 08-21-2018, 06:27 AM   #6
Administrator

I do not know of any European yurt makers myself. Most of them import authentic yurts from Mongolia (which can be risky without a long history) or they build custom authentic yurts which I cannot vouch for.

I know I have heard talk of some of the major US manufacturers exporting to 3rd party resellers, but I have never seen it stated anywhere officially. You might try

Colorado Yurts

. The last I checked with

Pacific Yurts

, they had no resellers.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

I doubt you will get five usable years out of a canvas cover, especially in a damp climate. Here in the dry western United States my canvas cover lasted five years. If you do opt for a canvas cover you can throw a cheap tarp over the yurt and that will take are of it getting soaked in the rainy seasons. As for

moisture

problems from doing such, I have no comment. That might be an issue. Good luck. Oh btw I certainly wouldn't advise getting any yurt bigger than 30' in diameter. Have fun.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

If I were you I'd buy a yurt from one of the sponsors of this site, and include their finest 15 year cover. Just figure the additional funds money well spent for a top grade yurt. It's very unlikely Mongolia, China, or any other country will be making yurts better than the manufacturers here in the U.S. Simply work the price differential into your mortgage. jmo Good luck.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Oh btw I certainly wouldn't advise getting any yurt bigger than 30' in diameter.

why not ?
Old 08-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Yurt in Denmark ?

No matter how you slice it, and regardless of how great they are, yurts are tents, not framed houses. They aren't just a cheap affordable house, they are tents not houses. No cloth cover over a light frame is going to last NEAR as long, or protect you from the elements near as well. I've had my 16'er up for over five years, and lemme tell yuh a conventionally framed 12x16' shed is WAY tougher. Why? It isn't a tent.

Don't get me wrong yurts are great nomadic tents, the best tent ever invented, bo no tentis even kinda slightly close to any conventional house. Knowing what I know about yurts there isn't a chance in hell I'd invest in any monster tent. Two smaller yurts is a much better idea imo. Good luck.

Tags
None