Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Search Forums
Advanced Search

New, Modern Yurt Build In Mongolia

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2022, 11:34 AM   #31
Yurt Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Posts: 63
Send a message via Skype™ to UKadventurer
Default Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Straight pipe for the win. :thumb up:

Carpenters call the cross piece a header. Also what they call falling off a wall. Been there done that a couple times
Quite right. I was going to make the comparison of how a window is framed in a stud wall. Especially a retrofit. I did a lot of rough carpentry in California for a major renovation. Cutting studs and adding a header and sill to frame out a window has some similarity to a roof penetration for a chimney flue in a yurt.

These days, I mainly do the planning and design and pay younger people to do the grunt work.
UKadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #32
Yurt Forum Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,967
Default Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

68 and still carpentering even though I'm retired. My son is buried with work so I buckled on my bags June and July this year. He was just here an hour ago and imma cover for him for a couple weeks this fall while he and the fam are hunting.

I'm covered with battle scars from 49 years of carpentry and the surgeries that go along with making a living in construction. My wife binge watched 'Vikings' tv series and started calling me her Ragnar. I'm way more ruggedly handsome though and the scars are real. lol
UKadventurer likes this.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 08-22-2022 at 03:36 PM.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 08-23-2022, 01:02 AM   #33
Yurt Forum Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Austria
Posts: 155
Question Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKadventurer View Post
Insulation is locally sourced wool felts in 2 layers.
Attachment 1281
Im coming back to the opening post and would like to know more about these layers.

How thick are the single layers?
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:05 AM   #34
Yurt Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Posts: 63
Send a message via Skype™ to UKadventurer
Default Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSRalex View Post
Im coming back to the opening post and would like to know more about these layers.

How thick are the single layers?
Without measuring precisely, I believe each layer is 5cm thick. We have 2 layers. There is some variability in thickness due to the traditional process used. I'll measure again when I get a chance.
TSRalex likes this.
UKadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:10 AM   #35
Yurt Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Posts: 63
Send a message via Skype™ to UKadventurer
Default Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
68 and still carpentering even though I'm retired. My son is buried with work so I buckled on my bags June and July this year. He was just here an hour ago and imma cover for him for a couple weeks this fall while he and the fam are hunting.

I'm covered with battle scars from 49 years of carpentry and the surgeries that go along with making a living in construction. My wife binge watched 'Vikings' tv series and started calling me her Ragnar. I'm way more ruggedly handsome though and the scars are real. lol
Very impressive, Bob. I had a nice little workshop with most of the tools of the trade. However, since moving abroad and being a rolling stone, and a renter, this is the first time I've needed tools. So I've started assembling the most useful tools so I can do rough carpentry. Maybe our furniture too. Who knows?
Bob Rowlands likes this.
UKadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #36
Yurt Forum Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Austria
Posts: 155
Thumbs up Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKadventurer View Post
Without measuring precisely, I believe each layer is 5cm thick. We have 2 layers. There is some variability in thickness due to the traditional process used. I'll measure again when I get a chance.
Thanks - the approx. value is enough for an general estimation....

Never thought in your planning phase to use something similar, but longer lasting, like "Synthepon"?
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:50 AM   #37
Yurt Forum Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,967
Default Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Use it or lose it. My brother in law is 75, a retired lineman for [email protected] He is one of the pitchers in his competitive fast pitch softball league. I mean tourney winning level no fiddly farting around. He has been pitching longer than I've been a carpenter, and I kid you not, he can send it. I've seen catchers half his age on the receiving end go "DAUUUMM!!" At 75, 300 pushups and situps a couple times a week, no drinking, no smoking. A lifetime of labor and exercise keeps you the real deal. And that's no BS.
UKadventurer likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:04 PM   #38
Yurt Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Posts: 63
Send a message via Skype™ to UKadventurer
Default Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSRalex View Post
Thanks - the approx. value is enough for an general estimation....

Never thought in your planning phase to use something similar, but longer lasting, like "Synthepon"?
I’ve never heard of synthepon but after a quick search it looks like polyester or other synthetic fibers. Anyway, for whatever reason, It wasn’t an option that the ger company offered. So I did no research on types of

insulation

for my gers.

I like wool but how long will wool felts last? In a dry climate and shielded from the elements (UV and damp) and pests, hopefully the rest of my life.

However, I did some research on foundation

insulation

. Expanded clay was my choice over XPS and EPS for cost reasons mainly.
Bob Rowlands and TSRalex like this.

Last edited by UKadventurer; 08-23-2022 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Extra details
UKadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:23 AM   #39
Yurt Forum Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Austria
Posts: 155
Default Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKadventurer View Post
Ive never heard of synthepon but after a quick search it looks like polyester or other synthetic fibers.
Yes, youre right - its similar.

https://sngroup.all.biz/en/polyester...-fiber-g131256

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKadventurer View Post
Anyway, for whatever reason, It wasnt an option that the ger company offered. So I did no research on types of insulation for my gers.
Now its too late, but for other readers it could be an alternative insulation.

BTW: Im sure that - with a good negotiation & under the support of Whisky - most Ger-Builder are willing to work with other materials too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKadventurer View Post
I like wool but how long will wool felts last? In a dry climate and shielded from the elements (UV and damp) and pests, hopefully the rest of my life.
Thats the big question. On the one side youre right with the circumstances the felt is used and on the other hand on your age expectations....
Bob Rowlands likes this.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #40
Yurt Forum Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,967
Default Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

I learning some things. You dudes are an asset here. Thanks for the comments.
TSRalex and UKadventurer like this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Yurt Forum | Buying a Yurt | Building a Yurt | Yurt Life | Yurts for Sale | Yurt Glamping | Yurts Pricing Yurt Calculators | Yurt Insurance | Yurt Insulation | Yurt Classifieds

Copyright 2012 - 2017 Jeff Capron Inc.

Yurt Posts Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with all the new yurt posts to your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]