Originally Posted by UKadventurer View Post
Merry Christmas everybody.
From me too....

Bob Rowlands likes this.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:57 PM   #92
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

U.K., thanks for all your experienced, down to earth, and positive 'can do' contribution to this forum.
TSRalex and UKadventurer like this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 12-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #93
Administrator

Quote:
The snow has built up to about 30-40cm
Click image for larger version

Name:	75kexu.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1452

We had about 4' here in Central New York and then we had a bout of rain which knocked it back down to 2'. Will be snowshoeing into my yurt tomorrow for a couple days.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:35 PM   #94
Yurt Forum Addict

haha Thanks Jafo! Folks get that look when I go all in on details. lol That, and :roll eyes: covers a lot of my posts. lol
Jafo and UKadventurer like this.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:04 AM   #95
Yurt Forum Addict

Lightbulb Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
We had about 4' here in Central New York and then we had a bout of rain which knocked it back down to 2'.
With my online converter that was always easy to solve....

https://jumk.de/calc/
Old 01-14-2023, 09:25 AM   #96
Yurt Forum Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to UKadventurer

I grew up in the UK, lived in the USA then Asia so I'm bilingual when it comes to metric/imperial since I've had years of experience with both.

So here's my 5 meters (16 feet) of kitchen furniture / countertops which I designed and built with help from my handyman. I design in Blender3d (open source 3d software) then built with glu-lam (I think) sheets (25mm/1" thick for the countertops and 17mm/3/4" for the sides) and some 10cm x 10cm (4"x4") lumber for legs.

I've still to attach the wheels on the stovetop (propane) island and some internal shelves but, finally, the kitchen is fully functional. Probably do some more oil, lacquer, stain work. Currently I've just added several applications of mineral oil to make the countertops more resistant to stains and water penetration.

The sink countertop is more complex due to dealing with a curved (on 2-axes) wall. I kept the front linear and just follow the curve of the back wall, notching the countertop to fit around a support post of the ger/yurt. The final countertop changed a bit from the design. We decided to add 10cm square posts because they match the aesthetic of the ger/yurt. However, they weren't strictly necessary. The length is 2.44m (8 feet). My handyman did the plumbing which was probably the most complex thing because it hooks up to the bathroom and has to go round 2 corners and still maintain a fall for the drain.

Name:	Sink countertop 3d.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	873.3 KB
ID:	1453

Name:	sink countertop photo.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	1454

The stovetop counter is an island which can be moved around because the stove is a 2-burner propane type and the gas bottle can be contained under the counter. We could've gone electric but we have outages often enough to decide propane gas was more reliable. The design to build is pretty much identical, although I haven't put shelves in it yet. There is a cantilevered bar with seating for 4 people. [

ATTACH]1456[/ATTACH]

Name:	cooktop island front view photo.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	1455

Name:	Cooktop island back view 3d.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	1458

Name:	cooktop island back view photo.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	1457

I rounded the corners of the bar and backsplash and oiled it a bit more today. I really like the oiled look.

Name:	kitchen with oil and corners rounded photo.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	1459

The cost was about $130 in materials for the cooktop island and probably $80 for the sink counter. About $100 for my handyman's labour. I'm really happy with the results although there's still some more work to do for shelves, backsplashes, etc.

It's been a tad chilly lately. We finally hit -40 which I like because it's the same in F/C - no need for conversion. The

heating

is keeping up but we supplement with the wood stove from time to time. Passive solar

heating

allows us to turn off the heating after the sun comes up (10:20am) until it goes down (4:40pm).

I should add that -40C/F is the recorded temperature in the capital city which is 32km (20m) from us and 400m (1300') lower in altitude so I'd guess we're a few degrees colder than that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cooktop island front view 3d.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1456  
Bob Rowlands and TSRalex like this.

Last edited by UKadventurer; 01-14-2023 at 09:28 AM.
UKadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:40 PM   #97
Yurt Forum Addict

BEAUTIFUL! The clean lines and spartan design is >perfect< in that yurt. GOOD JOB!
TSRalex and UKadventurer like this.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:27 AM   #98
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks! I'm a function over form guy but if I can have both I'm extra happy. I think the kitchen is already very functional but will also look great IF I stain the posts with the same stuff used on the posts, rafters, etc.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:15 AM   #99
Yurt Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
The clean lines and spartan design
.... is similar to the professional stainless steel furniture you can find in restaurants & hotels.

I would love the kitchen in pure stainless steel too, but I've to confirm, that the wooden version looks pretty good. *thumbsup*

Quote:
I'm a function over form guy
Me too - FFF (Form Follows Function) is my credo since my childhood...
UKadventurer likes this.

Last edited by TSRalex; 01-15-2023 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:00 AM   #100
Yurt Forum Addict

How's your winter going, guys? Are any of you living in your yurts?

In my case, I think we're over the worst of it and I'm VERY relieved. This winter was colder than most. Every 10 years or so, we get a colder than usual one. This has been one. Before now, the lowest I've experienced is -46C (-50F) in January 2011 when I lived in an apartment in the city. The last couple of nights were in the -40's (same in C or F). Take a look:

Name:	Past weather late Jan UB.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	1462

It reached -43C (-45F) ambient temperature on Monday night, -41C (-42F) on Tuesday and then just -34C (-30F) last night. Luckily the forecast is trending warmer in the -30C's to mid -20C's. Which seems positively tropical for me. Bear in mind I'm at a higher altitude than the city by 400m (1300') so my actual temperatures could be different. Probably a few degrees less. Potentially windier too.

Take a look:

Name:	future weather late Jan early Feb.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	1463

How did I manage? I say "I" not "we" because my wife has a sick aunt with acute liver failure and is the designated caregiver in the family. So she's been staying bedside in a city hospital in a toasty room. It's just been me at the camp for going on 2 weeks. What difference does that make? Well, at night, it's very comforting to share warmth under the blankets. She's a great bed warmer amongst here many talents. I've missed her.

I've actually been warm enough at a significant financial cost. My December electric bill was US$370. January's will possibly be higher. This is with cheap electricity rates of about 4-5 cents per kWh. I need to heat not only the 2 gers and bathroom connection but a well-house (critical components) and an insulated shipping container. To at least keep them comfortably above freezing.

Luckily, our other living expenses are very low. We own the land and improvement free and clear.

It's actually been more stressful than anything else. I need to monitor the heat of the outbuildings (well house and insulated container) with an app, especially of the well house. If I'm careless I could freeze the 2 pumps and rupture them losing my water supply. That already happened once with the well house to gers pump. This didn't happen this time because I was vigilant enough.

Indoors, it's cozy enough (at a cost) with underfloor heating barely keeping up and I can have wood fires in the evening to reach a very nice room temperature but I can't keep a wood fire going all night. The fire needs frequent feeding to stay burning. Because of this morning temps in my bedroom usually drop to 10C (50F) which I've got used to. Then the sun comes up about 10:20am in our high valley and I can turn the heating off entirely and soak in the passive solar heat.

The 5 animals (3 cats and 2 dogs) are also something I worry about more than myself. The larger dog has a well insulated kennel but he doesn't always use it at night. His choice. The oldest cat has one too. He always uses his. The puppy is about 2.5 months old now and just sleeps on a sheepskin rug outside. She seems to suffer no ill effects at all from sleeping outside, shockingly. She's a big ball of fur now so I'm sure that helps. I thought she'd be able to share one of the kennels but that hasn't happened. 2 of the privileged cats get to stay indoors at least at night.

The big problem is when I have to work outside. I'm constantly monitoring my electricity and tripped circuits happen sometimes. I have to go to the main panel (down the hill at the power pole) or the sub-panel in the shipping container to diagnose faults. This is when I suffer with frozen hands. I can't work on electricity problems with thick gloves but when I wear thinner gloves that allow enough dexterity, my hands go numb. I try to work fast but my hands don't allow it. I get frustrated but I need to finish the job. No choice.

So I've decided that I need a bit of reorganization of the circuit breakers. I really need sub-panels in the gers themselves for heating, light and sockets. It's not a difficult job and it's indoors so that's pleasant. This change makes it convenient to reset a tripped circuit breaker and diagnose problems (loose wires, overloads, etc) without facing harsh outside conditions.

For example, last night, the floor heating circuit tripped in my bedroom ger. I didn't notice because I was asleep but if I had, I would've had to get dressed, go outside to the shipping container and reset the circuit.

We do have some advantages despite the extreme cold. We don't get winter storms when it's this cold. OR much wind so there's not much wind chill. I don't need to go anywhere beyond the property so I more or less hibernate and only do the absolutely essential chores. I'm well stocked with food, firewood and propane. All in all, it's not been as bad as I thought it might be.
Bob Rowlands and TSRalex like this.