Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Roof

Old 08-09-2023, 09:26 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Roof

My son bought a Yurt kit from Asheville in 2010. The roof is now beginning to rot . It is a canvas roof. The company has gone out of business. I am desperately trying to find a way to replace my roof. the sides have been replaced Before the company went out of business. Our son has moved away . We rent the yurt. it is really a gorgeous spot with a wonderful deck but it’s not gonna be much if the roof rots😩

Noradch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Roof

One of our sponsors here,

Beowulf Industrial Sewing

makes them, see their ads here.
Bob Rowlands and TSRalex like this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 03:43 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks Jafo.

Gotta say 13 years on a canvas roof cover is absolutely phenomenal. My canvas cover was up for six years but only :good: for four. The fifth was very marginal and the sixth was worthless.
TSRalex likes this.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 08-10-2023 at 03:55 PM.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 01:39 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Thanks Jafo.

Gotta say 13 years on a canvas roof cover is absolutely phenomenal. My canvas cover was up for six years but only :good: for four. The fifth was very marginal and the sixth was worthless.
More than 30 years ago we´ve had on a permanent campground of the Austrian Scouts an never used canvas marquee from the British Army and on the long lasting, little bit difficult building process we decided, to let it built-on during the winter season. The result was an leaky roof after the 2nd winter.....

Something like that:

Last edited by TSRalex; 08-12-2023 at 01:41 AM.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 08:52 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

I framed a Super8 motel in Jackson WY during the fall of 1982. Thanksgiving week the temp hovered between zero and -20f. I was part of a skeleton crew that week, finishing up fire wall work on the roof.

Me and the girls I was going with that week frequently climbed down off that roof and walked into the heated wall tent in the parking lot. That tent was about half the size of the one in the photo above. I could have cared less about the state of the canvas I wanted to thaw the nails stuck to my lips. lol Lemme tell yuh walking into that heated tent at -20 was pure unadulterated bliss.

Off topic. We were young and tough gunslingers. But lemme tell yuh something. TOUGH was the US Army in the Battle of the Bulge WWII. Same temps, days on end, no nice tent no warm wood stove and the Germans regularly shelling your a$$. My parents were part of the greatest generation. Tough.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 08-12-2023 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typos up wazoo
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 05:11 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

How did you replace the roof?
Noradch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beowulf industrial sewing