Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Using String For The Khana

Old 10-05-2020, 07:14 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Using string for the Khana

Hi

This is my first post so HI to all the existing members...

I am designing and building my own yurt here in Morocco as shipping one from the UK would be too expensive ontop of the purchase cost and hold ups at customs over import duty.

I am opting for using string to connect the Khana, were trying to be as natural as possible and would prefer not have a polyester string visible. I have come across some cotton exterior poly interior 5.5mm sash cord, this is the same stuff they use for pulley maid clothes airers that are hoisted into victorian height ceilings.

Would this be a suitable alternative to 5mm 100% polyester string most people use?

many thanks,

Ant

Antho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Using string for the Khana

Making khana is a effton of work. Knotting together hundreds upon hundreds of joints takes ALOT of time. Using mediocre cordage because you think it looks cool, this you might regret down the road.

Before you commit to using that cord, test it for strength. Abrade it and see how easily it frays. Check to see how well it holds knots. Whatever cord you use, pull the knots good and tight with pliers.

I used 1/4-20 bolts and nylock nuts on all three of my small yurts. Hardly trad but no issues with wearing out. That said 'good' cordage will be fine. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

I use polypropylene diamond braid rope in my yurts. You can get some cool colors. I seem to remember when I started up my business I checked out nylon, but it stretches more.
Another alternative is polyester, I don’t know it’s properties and how suitable it might be.
I would definety avoid natural fibers as they will rot more easily.

If you go to Strapworks.com, I think they give the properties of all the various fibers for the straps they sell.
Yurtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Richard, thanks for the link.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None