Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Starting With A 'dog Yurt' Made From Bamboo

Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Starting with a 'dog yurt' made from bamboo

I will be building a 'people yurt' once I experiment with building a smaller 'dog yurt' - I am, also, using the lattice design to construct a modular fence that can be customized depending on the space available.

Bamboo was an easy choice for the dog yurt, but I am stuck on low cost, lightweight, and water repellant material to wrap that one in. I, also, want to build a constructable/deconstructable SIP floor for that as practice for the larger one, but I haven't gotten to the point of considering my options there.

I've been trying to understand the best materials to use for my human yurt, as well. Everything with the human yurt is up in the air, actually. I don't know of a good source for lattice material and am not sure if I want to use pine or cedar or a hardwood for the frame. There are pros and cons to each. I'm leaning toward cedar, but am afraid the smell would be overpowering.

As far as material goes, I am looking at WeatherMAX 80 or 65, followed by a thinsulate layer and faced with some other material. I am not a sewer so that seems daunting. I can find a low cost sewer, though, since I live amongst many Amish who advertise sewing for hire.

The WeatherMAX option seems heavy to me, so I've been thinking about some kind of tex - like gore tex, or another material - but I am not sure where to start thinking about that.

Does anyone have material suggestions? My criteria is that the material should be: durable, puncture, mildew, and mold resistant, water repellant, wind resistant, and lightweight.

I'd, also, love suggestions on wood. I think that I may do aluminum roof poles.

Kalaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Starting with a 'dog yurt' made from bamboo

As far as making your own lattice goes, if you have the cash, douglas fir would be a superb lattice material. It is straight grained and in the higher grade, knot free. I make some of my wood arrows out of 8/4 doug fir boards I buy at the hardwood supplier, so am very familiar with the woods performance under load. It would make a fantastic yurt wall.

Clear cedar is about as expensive as gold, so unless you are made from cash, forget it. Affordable cedar that is used in house construction is very weak and is riddled with knots. A real killer for a thin lattice.

That leaves 2X lumber from Depot and Lowe's. My yurts lattice is made from the clearest straightest grained 2X lumber I could find in the bunk at HD and Lowe's. Even with the clearest straightest material you'll lose at least 25% of your rips due to knots and defects. I discarded a higher percentage than that but I am very picky, and 2X lumber is cheap. I've had no problems at all with my cheapjack lattice wood.

As an aside, I double coated my laths with Rustoleum industrial enamel before assembling the wall. Rustoleum industrial enamel is a superb paint for protecting wood from sun and weather. I also painted the rafters, roof ring, and door with the same paint.

I can't recommend it enough. It is a bombproof coating. I built my grill table from 2X back in the mid 90s and coated it with 2 coats of Rustoleum enamel. I haven't repainted it in all those years and it has been outside the entire time. It still doen't need paint. Now that my friend is testament to a truly tough paint.

Regarding weathermax, Colorado Tent Co makes a wall tent from the product. You might call them and ask about it. If interested, they might sell you yardage for your yurt at somewhat less than retail.

I considered weathermax as a tent cover. The material is synthetic, and expensive, and that ultimately led me to veto using it on my yurt. I opted for double fill sunforger treated cotton canvas. If I get five full years out of it, great. I have had it on my yurt for over a year and seems as good as new.

I'm wordy if nothing else. lol Good luck with your project.
Marshall Eppley likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
Administrator

Is that grill table outside Bob? That's really a good idea.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Yes. My grill bench has been outside for ~= 17 years. It is simply a 2X bench with a low shelf. I keep the grill tools handy hanging on the side, charcoal and chimney starter stored on the lower shelf. The top is a prep and landing area. Painted two coats Rustoleum black enamel.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None