Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Location For Backcountry Yurt. Seeking Input On Placement.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Location for backcountry yurt. Seeking input on placement.

Hello,

Wasn't sure where to post this. Hope this is an appropriate place.

Any way, I have a 20' yurt that I'm planning to use as a rustic backcountry winter retreat on mountain property I own. Skis or snowshoes will be the only access. For now, the yurt will be for my personal use with family and friends. Renting it in the future though is a very real possibility.

The locations I have to erect it place it too far from any decent skiing...so it will be used as a way to enjoy trekking through a historically and geographically interesting area with views and total solitude. We have enjoyed snowshoeing into a nearby cabin for the same experience. The cabin is too small for more than four people though...and even then, it is tight.

The locations I have available, without having to cut new roads through brush and Aspen stands, which I don't care to do, are as follows: 1) in a large valley tucked against the eastern edge of an Aspen grove with ok views of the surrounding valley and mountains encompassing about 45° 2) tucked into the aforementioned Aspen grove in a small meadow with most views blocked by trees, or 3) up the hill a ways with 270° views of the valley below and surrounding mountains.

Winter access to all is about the same. Summer/fall access for erecting/building is considerably easier for option 1 and 2. I can easily drive right to these areas and not have to do much if any clearing of brush or trees to build. It is quite flat in these areas and there is an abundance of firewood right there. The yurt would be largely protected by prevailing westerly winter winds that blow often, and shaded for at least part of the day. It would be a pleasant area to build in having a grassy meadow floor and nearby shade for reprieve. Accessing option 3 is doable but far more challenging.....and then there would be considerable work clearing brush and building a level platform. Besides thick sage and other gnarly brushes, this location is barren and completely exposed to the elements (wind, sun). It would require a several hundred yard haul for firewood. The views are significantly better though.

My question is: Considering future rentals, would the views of option 3 be worth all the extra work and sun exposure to the yurt? Or would the protection from the Aspens below on option 1 and 2....and the experience of seeing the views on the trek in and out be sufficient for an experience worthy of recommendation? For what it is worth, I should also mention that I plan to build a sauna near the yurt too.

Opinions/experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by fishnaked; 08-19-2013 at 11:23 AM.
fishnaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Location for backcountry yurt. Seeking input on placement.

Hi!
I live in my yurt year round, and I don't have any intention of renting, but could happen. I would suggest the view with the easiest access, both for you and potential future renters. Your firewood resource will go away quickly and to keep using wood it will have to be hauled in, so access again is important. Good luck!
cmwingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Administrator

Without pics it is hard to say, but I am thinking option 1 is a great compromise between 2 & 3.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
Without pics it is hard to say, but I am thinking option 1 is a great compromise between 2 & 3.
Thanks for the input, you two. Keep'em coming!

I do have some pics but it appears that I can not attach them here directly from my computer. Is this correct?
Old 08-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Administrator

Yes, you can.

http://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt....html#post1832
Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Ah ha! Thanks, Jafo!

Here are pics of option #1 and #3 as described in my original post:

Pic of option 1 (view A) is all you get, except for an Aspen grove behind. The pic of option 3 (view C) gives more views of mountains I didn't get pics of.

I will also note that the main view in option 1 is almost due east while the main view in option 3 is due south.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View A from Weasel Springs nearest road JPG.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	410   Click image for larger version

Name:	View C from upper parcel JPG.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	411  

Last edited by fishnaked; 08-19-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Administrator

#3 definitely has the better view. I am not sure anyone can answer this better than yourself though. If it is worth it to do the extra work for the view, then there you go.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks. Here's another potential spot a stones throw from option #1. Better views in my opinion than #1, some shade to the west to protect the yurt from the sun and wind, and firewood at arms length. Like #3 though, it would take considerable more work to clear the brush and make a level platform. I'd be driving over 125 yards of sagebrush to haul the yurt to it too.

I should note that none of these views compare to the ones from a ridge top on the trek in. I'd like to think those views would make up for the lesser views in these pics. Of course, views during the trek and while sitting in the yurt would be best. Compromises......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View B from north east corner of Weasel Springs.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	412  

Last edited by fishnaked; 08-19-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Member

I guess I will throw in my $0.02 too. Yeah the view, but...

I think you should consider where you will market for your potential clients. What is the demographic of the most common client you think you will have? Is it close or far from a city? A recreation spot? What kind of person would want to come here?

Will it be for a night rental or weekends or a weekly, or even a monthly thing? Moving all your stuff when you settle in for longer periods of time turns into work if you have to trek up a long climb.

The young adventurous types might just decide they will save their bucks, and pitch a tent, except in the winter when they might share it with a room full of skiing buddies.

For these athletic types you are a cheap place to stay, so you can put it anywhere, they will be ok with it. They aren't generally looking to spend much on a place to stay... there is always a new piece of gear that is more interesting than a little comfort. At least that is how I was.

What is the draw for the middle-aged and middle-classed? Many of them will have children, is there any attraction for them there? Is there enough room to pitch a tent for teenagers that want some privacy?

Then we have an ageing population, and they generally have time and money, and often enjoy a quiet place. They want their comfort, but they will tolerate less than perfection, but they generally don't like surprises.

Perhaps you want to put it where it is easy for everyone to get to with the least amount of energy expended. It won't hurt anyone's feelings if they can drive to the yurt and have a passable view and don't have to work hard to getting things in and out of it.

For everyone's enjoyment, you can mark a trail to the place with the best view spot, and make a fairly flat spot and they will be there at sundown with a flask or a bottle of wine and a folding chair if they can make the climb.

Maybe you were planning to cut a road up to the high point?

Those with more money than time and energy may be glad to avoid the climbing up the hill with all their bags and stuff. A folding chair and a bottle won't be too strenuous. Are they the clients who might likely fuel you venture?

You might try to discourage candles and lanterns in the yurt, so maybe you should consider if can you use solar power at this location. Even a little power is a nice thing. Just lights for a few hours in the evening makes a big difference, a little reading, a game or two of cards, supper ran a little late?

Where is the best place to locate the panels? A big fat copper wire pulled for any distance gets really expensive, and it is like money in the bank for any that wonder by with sticky fingers.

You have aspens, so there is probably some water under there. Aspens are shallow rooted, so it probably isn't too deep. Could it be developed and be a safe source of drinking water?

So how will you deal with water for your lodgers? Water is heavy and not easy to move from other locations. A cistern that gets filled by a periodic visit by the water buffalo tank? Will you or they have to carry it up a long slope to have a better view?

If there is water under there, you need to try to protect it the best you can.

Even grey water can easily pollute a shallow water source. Try to plan now to avoid feeding your grey water into this area. Move your site away from it. You don't want people to be tempted to just walk outside pour it out on the ground.

Maybe you can bury some long pipes to carry it far away from the aspens. Maybe you can even have a garden plot or some other use, but remember the deer are going to want to eat your garden.

I don't think I need to mention the toilet needs to avoid the aspen area.

We are just back from a vacation that involved a lot of yurt camping, and my wife was totally disgusted and concerned about the poor sanitation planning, and we have both tent and rough camped all our lives. A minimum of planning on their part could have made it less concerting.

Think about everything, and how you will market. I know it is killing me.

A few things to think about.

Rodyurtlocker.com
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar