Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Location For Backcountry Yurt. Seeking Input On Placement.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Location for backcountry yurt. Seeking input on placement.

Hello,

Wasn't sure where to post this. Hope this is an appropriate place.

Any way, I have a 20' yurt that I'm planning to use as a rustic backcountry winter retreat on mountain property I own. Skis or snowshoes will be the only access. For now, the yurt will be for my personal use with family and friends. Renting it in the future though is a very real possibility.

The locations I have to erect it place it too far from any decent skiing...so it will be used as a way to enjoy trekking through a historically and geographically interesting area with views and total solitude. We have enjoyed snowshoeing into a nearby cabin for the same experience. The cabin is too small for more than four people though...and even then, it is tight.

The locations I have available, without having to cut new roads through brush and Aspen stands, which I don't care to do, are as follows: 1) in a large valley tucked against the eastern edge of an Aspen grove with ok views of the surrounding valley and mountains encompassing about 45° 2) tucked into the aforementioned Aspen grove in a small meadow with most views blocked by trees, or 3) up the hill a ways with 270° views of the valley below and surrounding mountains.

Winter access to all is about the same. Summer/fall access for erecting/building is considerably easier for option 1 and 2. I can easily drive right to these areas and not have to do much if any clearing of brush or trees to build. It is quite flat in these areas and there is an abundance of firewood right there. The yurt would be largely protected by prevailing westerly winter winds that blow often, and shaded for at least part of the day. It would be a pleasant area to build in having a grassy meadow floor and nearby shade for reprieve. Accessing option 3 is doable but far more challenging.....and then there would be considerable work clearing brush and building a level platform. Besides thick sage and other gnarly brushes, this location is barren and completely exposed to the elements (wind, sun). It would require a several hundred yard haul for firewood. The views are significantly better though.

My question is: Considering future rentals, would the views of option 3 be worth all the extra work and sun exposure to the yurt? Or would the protection from the Aspens below on option 1 and 2....and the experience of seeing the views on the trek in and out be sufficient for an experience worthy of recommendation? For what it is worth, I should also mention that I plan to build a sauna near the yurt too.

Opinions/experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by fishnaked; 08-19-2013 at 11:23 AM.
fishnaked is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar