Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Insulation Questions...Permanent Yurt In Burleson County Texas...

Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Insulation questions...Permanent yurt in Burleson County Texas...

Sounds awesome and I'm interested to hear about how it turns out.
If you're used to heat and won't be inside the yurt much during the day then I guess it's not really much of a problem, especially if you've got a lake close by.

Keep us updated!
Corvi&Alexis2018 likes this.
burttheyurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #12
Yurt Forum Addict

Good positive posts. It's my opinion that success in a project is directly correlated to how folks apply themselves to their endeavor. 'The power of positive thinking." goes a long way towards attaining your goal. Be confident you WILL build skill as you apply yourself. Be very aware using power tools. and/or get help as you learn. Good luck.
burttheyurt likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 10-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #13
Yurt Forum Youngin

I have been pleased with the ROI on the reflective prodex

insulation

. It's not going to hold heat or keep cool quite like bigger thicker conventional

insulation

, but for just a few hundred extra dollars you could fully insulate a 24' Yurt no problem with this stuff and it definitely does a job worth that much. We were working a 20' Yurt this summer with it fully insulated with this stuff and it was outside temp of 90F and inside the Yurt was high 70's so it wasn't a dramatic drop in temp during the summer but enough that you were glad it was there. Or you can always turn it into a Hot Yoga studio....
Great Lakes Yurt Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Youngin

@Bob Rowlands,
Thank you. I am familiar with tools and power tools thankfully. I have build small things before and chicken coops. I just don't have any construction experience with a house or similar type dwelling. I am reading all I can and asking lots of questions. We will definitely learn as we go. By the end of this endeavor, my wife and I will be able to build a yurt no problem. Especially since every structure on the property will be round that includes animal stalls/coops. =)
Bob Rowlands and YurterRT like this.
Corvi&Alexis2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Addict

You have a good attitude. Building a yurt isn't easy, but, it is doable for someone with basic skills that has a good plan, and a positive 'can do, and WILL do.' attitude. Best to you.
Corvi&Alexis2018 likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:58 AM   #16
Yurt Forum Youngin

It is a bit of a late reply, but nevertheless:

Firstly, you have already heard about the chimny effect of a yurt and how to use it. I have a slight improvement on it though which I am going to test next summer, hopefully.

If you build your yurt on an elevated wooden platform with a crawl space under, and install ventilation inlets in the floor inside the yurt all around the diameter of the wall, you can actually tap into the colder air under the platform, which shades the soil from the sun. Also, if you dig a deeper hole under the platform, you can use the chimney effect to get the cold air from the hole into the yurt. This needs some engineering planning though. But it is still way simpler and more natural than air conditioning. Also, it cannot break down.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Albert Mongol Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #17
Yurt Forum Addict

I simply roll the lower cover up and tuck it into the middle rope. That creates the same natural air cooling breeze.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #18
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
I simply roll the lower cover up and tuck it into the middle rope. That creates the same natural air cooling breeze.
That surely works for a light structure. Gets harder with more semi permanent structures though.

YurterRT likes this.
Albert Mongol Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #19
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mongol Ail View Post
It is a bit of a late reply, but nevertheless:

Firstly, you have already heard about the chimny effect of a yurt and how to use it. I have a slight improvement on it though which I am going to test next summer, hopefully.

If you build your yurt on an elevated wooden platform with a crawl space under, and install ventilation inlets in the floor inside the yurt all around the diameter of the wall, you can actually tap into the colder air under the platform, which shades the soil from the sun. Also, if you dig a deeper hole under the platform, you can use the chimney effect to get the cold air from the hole into the yurt. This needs some engineering planning though. But it is still way simpler and more natural than air conditioning. Also, it cannot break down.

That's what I'm planning to do. I'll be interested to learn how you got on.
Lucy Ina Yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:26 PM   #20
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hey all,

I have a yurt in Melbourne, Australia. We get pretty ridiculous and changeable weather here so after a few days of 35+C we will get a cool change. As mentioned above the yurt has virtually no thermal mass due to it's lightweight timber frame so it cools quickly as the air temperature cools, which is great. I originally had a rocket heater made from a converted beer keg but I found it too smoky and hot. It was also a bit of a bugger to keep lit with a busy lifestyle. e.g. not there to constantly feed it. I stunk like a mongolian yak herder which wasn't a great thing when getting ready to go out somewhere...smelling like a freshly smoked piece of jerky! So in a smoke induced rage fuelled moment, I bought a panel heater. JOY. 20C at the flick of a switch and cheaper than wood here. Less dragging crap in and out in the cold and rain also. I think a good quality, small wood heater would be perfect though and a little warmer for those -0 days, plus there's the atmosphere of the flames etc. Dead set romantic.

Summer. Let's talk about that. No shade and I absolutely cook. Both my goldfish died . The cats...don't mind it but last time we had 44C they were panting like dogs. (They do have a cat run tacked on but their instinct is to stay in the shade). So I shelled out for about $600 worth of double foil backed insulation. Gave myself a massive pat on the back for the skill with which I made the top. I removed the outer canvas and laid it on top. No mean feat in the wind. Then I taped the sides down. It was a sweaty frustrating day and my daughter cried. Anyway us two did it.
I got home from work all excited on the first hot day and it had made not one iota of difference to the internal temperature. I cried. I could have gone on a holiday to Bali for that cost. So I went out and bought a portable airconditioner. Works a treat, but another $350...(days spas and 5 star accommodation for the Bali holiday)...
The floor by the way, was insulated when I had it built.
NB.I have also found that adding the extra layer has changed the fit of the outer canvas and it doesn't wrap around as well. Catches the wind and starts to blow off.
So...they get cold. They get hot. I wish I had known that when I purchased it. It is beautiful and I love the aesthetic and convenience of it. I am however going to build a studio out of wood and be just slightly more thermally comfortable.

Cheers all
Jane
hierony likes this.

Last edited by JaneinOz; 03-01-2018 at 10:29 PM.
JaneinOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation