Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

GRP Roof?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default GRP roof?

hi new here so just saying hi. i have been building my yurt in stages for a while. i don't yet have the roof covering sorted. for now i am just using translucent heavy duty tarps till i sort something better out. my idea for something better is this.
sections of GRP lined with with PIR foam. GRP is glass reinforced plastic and PIR is a closed cell foam

insulation

material widely used in the building trade as

insulation

. the reason i don't want to use canvas is mainly because this yurt will be up all the time, and i live on the coast where we get regular 60 mph storms in the winter. canvas will wear out quite quickly in these conditions i have noticed.
anyone got any thoughts on this. the yurt an extension to my school bus so i am using it as as extra space for now. i will live in it in the summer but probably not so much in the winter. it is 16 foot diameter with 5 foot high walls. i am over 6 foot tall so went for higher than standard walls.
i know others have done similar designs, such as the hexayurt, but i wanted to keep the traditional frame for ascetic reasons. it stands on pallets with 25mm celotex with high density chipboard flooring on top of that.

Marshall Eppley likes this.
bob golding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: GRP roof?

You will find a large diversity in coverings here. The one I find the most interesting is used billboards. Here is an example of some Treebones from

Light Feet Yurts

has done:

http://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt...yurts-108.html

Of course, vinyl is pretty common too.

I am sure others have more to add!

Welcome to the forums btw!

- Jeff
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Hello Bob welcome to the yurt forum. Did you know an 18 foot insulated pool cover fits a 16 foot yurt like a glove. They always make them bigger than shown on the tag. I have a picture in the albums of one of my yurts with a solar pool cover we used for storage and rainy days at a camp ground.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Eppley View Post
Hello Bob welcome to the yurt forum. Did you know an 18 foot insulated pool cover fits a 16 foot yurt like a glove. They always make them bigger than shown on the tag. I have a picture in the albums of one of my yurts with a solar pool cover we used for storage and rainy days at a camp ground.
now that is a good idea. i will start looking. being in the UK with our weather, pools are probably not as numerous as in the hotter parts of the world but i will start a ebay search. thanks.
some really cool yurts on that light feet site by the way. i am envious.

just thought i would add that being an engineer i spent some time trying to think of an alternative to tying lots of knots. the solution i came up with was to use cable ties. the trick is to put 2 of them on the back as the racket thingy is not as strong as the tie its self. with 2 ties on the back they are plenty strong enough.
bob golding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light feet yurts