Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

For Hire ASAP: Seeking Experienced Help Relocating Yurt In Sonoma County California

Old 05-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default for hire ASAP: seeking experienced help relocating yurt in Sonoma County California

Hi community,

Im urgently seeking to hire someone with yurt experience to guide the relocation of a yurt in Sonoma from one site to another in the next 3 weeks. If they have a couple friends who could assist I'm also needing that help. It's a 24ft Colorado Yurt in good condition on a wood platform in a flat accessible place. The platform also needs to be disassembled and made smaller for the new site. Please feel free to contact me . Also if you have any referrals, leads, or suggestions.Thanks!

lamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: for hire ASAP: seeking experienced help relocating yurt in Sonoma County Califor

No offense, but that is hilarious.

Lemme get this straight... three weeks before the move you are looking to:

Locate mr johnny on the spot yurt dude and a couple of johnny spots dude buddies, with tools and trucks and required skills, to dismantle a commercial grade yurt, tear apart the old large deck, salvage what is left of that deck, clean the site, transport what is reusable to the new site, redesign, place piers or posts, and build a new 24' diameter deck, with apparently no plan(?!) pads, or piers in place, and reerect your yurt. And do it all right now, and likely as cheap as possible. Plus no photos of any of the old yurt and new site. Will there be anything else? lol

You do see the humor in that right? Don't mean to be a buzz kill here, but a 24' commercial yurt is going to require a skilled yurt erection crew. Tearing down and rebuilding a new 24' diameter deck from scratch is going to require skilled carpenters. Be aware that lumber has tripled in price since last summer. Labor has gone up a bit as well.

I suggest you call Colorado Yurt and discuss your needs with them. They might be able to give you some advice. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is online now   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 05-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #3
Administrator

Default Re: for hire ASAP: seeking experienced help relocating yurt in Sonoma County Califor

At the cost of lumber right now, I can see trying to use the old platform as much as possible, but I agree, the time frame is not realistic..
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Just a few side comments.

Salvaging lumber is fine, as long as the cost of the labor to do such doesn't exceed the price differential, and is actually salvageable. In general carpenters don't like that kind of redo because the hassle of disassembly, stripping nails and screws, cutting out bad sections, stacking, cleanup the disassembly mess, etc. is absolutely not worth it. WAY too much grief.

Banded new material that slides off the flat bed ready for the crew to get after it, and is ALL there not partially there, that is the way to roll and in fact IS the way everyone rolls.

BUT,,,, nowadays it might be OK if someone who isn't paying themself preps, strips, cuts, culls, cleans stacks etc. and leaves nice neat piles assorted by length and size for those he is paying. Carpenters aren't eyeballing the pile thinking 'what the heck is this mess?' . But normally these homeowner types don't have the slightest clue what they are doing.

Lastly, USUALLY the materials people want to keep (to save money is the #1 reason of course) that material is frequently useless from a structural pov, IF it has been exposed to the weather for a decade or so with no finish on it. Fine for den wall or non loadbearing project. Lots of beautiful pieces crafted from reclaimed material. But not a yurt deck. No way I would get involved with that. I never buy 'seconds' piles from Depot or Lowes because the material has every defect possible.

JMO, YMMV. Regardless of my straight ahead comments good luck to the thread starter.
Bob Rowlands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

I have to agree with not using recycled wood for your platform unless the old platform is in good repair. I have experience in doing this. I purchased a used yurt and disassembled and re-erected the raised platform and yurt. It can be done in several weeks! I wish I were there to give you a hand but I’m in west coast Canada.
Your platform should be built well by those who understand construction methods! This is your foundation for your home - likely the most important part.
Good luck. Please let us know how you make out.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None