Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Firewood

Old 05-25-2022, 10:36 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Firewood

Hi everyone. I’m new to Yurt life. We bought a 22’ Yurt from

Groovy Yurts

that will be delivered to the Kootney Region of BC this summer. I want to make sure I have enough firewood for the winter. I’ve got a used Pacific Super 27 that I’ll be using. Can anyone share how many cords of wood they think I may need to stock. Snow is usually November -March. Mountain town so likely

heating

from Sept/October- May

Thanks for your feedback

JenElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:08 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Firewood

Surely not directly helpful, but the joke below slept into my brain after reading your lines:

It was autumn, and the Indians on the remote reservation asked their new Chief if the winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was an Indian Chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets.

When he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the weather was going to be. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he replied to his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared.

Also, being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold indeed," the meteorologist at the weather service responded. So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more wood in order to be prepared.

A week later, he called the National Weather Service again. "Is it going to be a very cold winter?"

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied,"it's definitely going to be a very cold winter." The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of wood they could find.

Two weeks later, he called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting wood like crazy."
Wintergreen282 likes this.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 05-26-2022, 05:33 AM   #3
Administrator

I don't think it will be possible for you to cut too much wood lol. I have a 30' Pacific Yurt that I only use as a part time cabin and heat it while I am there hunting and then 2-3 weekends in deep winter and 6-8 weekends in the early Spring and tack on a couple weeks of vaca. I go through about 4-5 full cords of wood just doing that. Perhaps 1.5 months of

heating

Now a Pacific Yurt is MUCH higher and has more volume to heat but at 22' I would say you are maybe 3/4's the way there.

I live in Northern NY near the Canadian border and looking at the map, not much further South than your region.

Keep in mind, I am frequently bringing the yurt up to temp from a dead cold, whereas you don't normally do that living full time. I would think you are going to want 12-15 full cords of wood to be safe. I would always do more than you think you will need because the worst that can happen is, you have to do less firewood the next season.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

15-20 cords. I'm guessing more towards the 20 side with full on Canadian winter. Better to have too much then too little the first year. After a full year you'll know exactly what you need based on experience. Good luck.
Wintergreen282 likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:55 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

I live full time in my 24’ White Mt Yurt in NH and only use maybe 4 cords. BUT. I don’t try and keep it 70 degrees 24/7. (Lots and lots of posts here discussing my “system”. Lol. Sometimes it’s 80 sometimes it’s 25 degrees. Sometimes I’m in shorts & bare feet and sometimes in head to toe outdoor gear. I’m here for the adventure.

Better to have extra your first year. Especially if getting another cord of dry wood in March would be difficult for whatever reason. Roads, cost, etc. Neither Bob nor I have said it for a couple years, but “Yurts are just big tents”, right Bob?
Josée Bayeur likes this.
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:27 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Check out Zelig posts! I think they have a 22’ Groovy Yurt and it seems it waaay more efficient than our Americanized yurts. 15-20 cords! Yikes. That a full time job!
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:10 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Got that cordage figure from John Rowlands 1947 book:

Cache Lake country: Or, Life in the North Woods

That was winter wood for a small hand made log cabin in the Canadian wild. Incredibly (by todays standards) 15-20 cords were cut by hand with axe and saw over a months labor. When I was in my 20's I cut and split winter firewood by hand using a saw and axe. Them days is LONG gone. Chainsaw and splitter for me, thanks.

Btw I've read my paperback copy of 'Cache Lake Country' many times. In fact it's a permanent book in my night stand. It's a FANTASTIC book that captures the spirit of the north in the mid 1900s. It's filled with all kinds of old school woods lore. Plus the illustrations perfectly capture the prose, and the spirit of the wild Canadian north. I just can't recommend that book enough. It will lift your spirit. 5 stars. Available online.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:44 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

The right answer of course is more than you need. I run an outdoor boiler in Ont and will cut anywhere between 20 and 80 face cords a year. Have multiple log piles and firewood piles. Great exercise and never goes to waste. Ideally like to have a 2 year stockpile. This past winter my skidder had issues with its oil pump and instead of freezing and dealing with it in the bush, i just left it till spring. Had plenty of wood!
Jafo likes this.
Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:18 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Got that cordage figure from John Rowlands 1947 book:

Cache Lake country: Or, Life in the North Woods

That was winter wood for a small hand made log cabin in the Canadian wild. Incredibly (by todays standards) 15-20 cords were cut by hand with axe and saw over a months labor. When I was in my 20's I cut and split winter firewood by hand using a saw and axe. Them days is LONG gone. Chainsaw and splitter for me, thanks.

Btw I've read my paperback copy of 'Cache Lake Country' many times. In fact it's a permanent book in my night stand. It's a FANTASTIC book that captures the spirit of the north in the mid 1900s. It's filled with all kinds of old school woods lore. Plus the illustrations perfectly capture the prose, and the spirit of the wild Canadian north. I just can't recommend that book enough. It will lift your spirit. 5 stars. Available online.
Thanks Bob! I will give Cache Lake Country a read this winter while I’m by the stove. Sounds like I need to get splitting some wood so no time for reading right now!!!
JenElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:01 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

I had to look up "face cords" as I've never heard the term. Face cord is a third of a cord. So when people mention 15-20 cords, it really means 5-7.

There is a guy that posted this:
"I'm in Northern Ontario and have lived in a 22ft Groovy Yurt for 6 years. We average 4.5-5 bush cords per winter. 70% of that is spruce, 20% poplar and 10% birch. There is a very noticeable difference when we have a good berm of snow up against the walls. Wood consumption drops considerably."
Josée Bayeur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
groovy yurts