Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Building A Yurt For The Winter...

Old 10-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #31
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: building a yurt for the winter...

Thanks guys,
I don't want dangling nails either. I was thinking about putting the heads on the inside. You make a good point about breaking the lath.

I didn't want to tie 2000 knots but maybe I should reconsider. As for bolts... way to expensive and time consuming for me. Lol
njtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #32
Administrator

My concern with the nails would be ripping the wall fabric. What about rivets?

Traditional yurts use rawhide, but I understand they need to be replaced periodically so keep that in mind.
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #33
Yurt Forum Youngin

I will look into finding some quality paracord and try to get up the nerve to tie that many knots
Jafo likes this.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #34
Administrator

Hahahaha.. That does sound daunting. Let us know how it turns out.
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #35
Yurt Forum Youngin

More work on the platform today. The base for the platform is finished. Next I have to cut 2x6's to make the platform. Lots of mill work.

Here is my home made circle jig. It did a great job. Now I can get a feel for the finished space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	1033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1034  
Jafo likes this.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #36
Yurt Forum Addict

Building the wall and assemblng hundreds of connectors takes patience. However what REALLY challenges that patience is finding out you screwed up and made them too tight, or that the washers rattle in the wind. I enjoyed building my yurt but tweaking all those bolts, and especially pulling hundreds of washers, and cracking some laths in the process, now that part just wasn't any fun at all. If your laths are thicker than 5/16ths you are less prone to breaking them.

If I was doing this again, I'd use 1/2" or thicker laths, and steam bend them. Tying with cordage is the way to go. Quiet in wind, plenty tight, strong enough, easy to fold and unfold, and easy to replace if necessary, wall erected or down.

Initially I built my yurt with perfection in mind. I wanted it on the money, everywhere. Perfectly tight wall, taught cable, no roof flex, everything exacting, because that's the way I am. But in fact it IS a tent. Tying works fine. I now know yurts don't even need a cable. A rope around the perimeter would be just fine, just like they do in Mongolia. Those folks really do have this stuff all figured out.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:31 AM   #37
Yurt Forum Addict

There are a few Youtube videos of Mongolians assembling their traditional nomadic-not Americanized- yurts. They aren't pulling wrenches to assemble anything. The entire tent is tied/lashed, including the ring supports (bagana) to the ring. If I was doing this again, I'd go Mongolian. Tie the lath crosses, lash the wall sections together, lash the door to the frame, and tension with a rope, or cloth band. Plenty good enough. Running threaded bolts through skinny laths, not so red hot. Live and learn.

You're doing good. Keep it up.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #38
Yurt Forum Addict

There are also photos and video of Mongolian yurts that are made with pole rafters, and shoot/ sapling walls. I'm no yurt scholar, but in my estimation, the first yurts were made with local materials requiring no machinlng or machined precision. Yurt walls, rafters, door was all natural materials, and all bound with cordage or rawhide. Todays Americanized yurts as as different from that as ilf carbon limbed olympic bows are from selfbows and self arrows tipped with knapped heads.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #39
Yurt Forum Youngin

I finished milling the 2x6's for the floor joists. 5 logs gave me over 400 running feet of lumber. Next is the layout...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0438.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1035  
Jafo and Bob Rowlands like this.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #40
Yurt Forum Addict

This thread has become superb dude. I really like guys that do it all themselves.

Tags
None