Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Mold Issues?

Old 10-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Mold Issues?

Hello everyone, I'm new here and only heard about Yurts a month ago. I'm chronically ill and am considering a Yurt as a potential solution to a place for me to heal from MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) and mold-sickness. I've heard that it's important to keep a dehumidifier going during the summer or when using the shower, etc. Does anyone have any experience about dealing with mold in a yurt? Would you say that it wouldn't be a good idea for someone who needs to avoid mold or is it still a possibility? Thanks so much for your help!

CharisJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Mold Issues?

IMO If the cover stays wet it will mildew if not mold. I live in a dry climate, but this year we had intense rain for over a month and the cotton canvas cover of my yurt was constantly wet the entire time. Never fully drying out, it mildewed. There are spots all over the canvas. I don't know about other covering materials so no comment on that. All I can say is if you live in a wet climate common sense will tell you to expect some mildew/mold issues with damp cloth. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 10-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #3
Administrator

Default Re: Mold Issues?

If you are sensitive to mold, then I would not suggest a yurt. Yurts are more likely to get mold than other structures.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None