Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt Cover

Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt Cover

Hey folks, working on my Third yurt, and looking for some ideas/suggestions for covering it....

my first yurt I used old canvas that was donated to my by my uncle, worked great for the project, 12' prototype yurt

my second yurt I tried billboard tarps this worked good too, was nice to work with, but collected

moisture

due to its lack of breath ability, so I wont be using it again as covering...

I am working on my Third yurt now, this one will be the prototype for future yurts I plan on selling & for renting out on my 100 acre Farm, so looks and functionality is key!

my two options I have looked at so far are Canvas and Acrylic coated polyester fabric, I can do the sewing work myself (I think) but right now I am finding that the Canvas I need to complete the yurt will cost me nearly $3000 and I cant for the life of me find a suppler for the Acrylic coated polyester....

obviously best price on material is the key but I don't want to have to sacrifice quality for it.

Just looking for imput on what others have used, and what their costs have been, also if anyone has any information/contacts for material in Ontario Canada, please let me know!!!

Thanks in advance!

-Wise of Indigo Farms

Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Manufacturer Representative

Default What size?

What is the diameter, wall height, & estimated peak height of the yurt you are looking to cover? Will you use fabric window cover flaps & what size?

I believe the roof cover would preferably be heat seamed with a vinyl welder as opposed to being sewn. Though I have seen sewn seam roof covers that don't leak and some people swear by that method.
Surely Yurts - Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely Yurts - Steve View Post
What is the diameter, wall height, & estimated peak height of the yurt you are looking to cover? Will you use fabric window cover flaps & what size?

I believe the roof cover would preferably be heat seamed with a vinyl welder as opposed to being sewn. Though I have seen sewn seam roof covers that don't leak and some people swear by that method.

Hey Steve, thanks for the reply!

This yurt will be a 18' DIA, though I plan on building many many many more....,

The peek height will be 12' give or take

I would like to install windows in this one, and future ones, I havn't put much thought into size, though they would be full sized , so like 3'x4' or something, I would like to use a clear material for the window itself, and have an outcover that would velcro on for winter months

I like the idea of heat seaming it, with my first yurt the canvas peice I had was big enough I make it out of one solid piece, the second one where I used billboard tarp I had to use a special resin which melted the seams together for a very nice water tight seam, I have lots of space and tools at my disposal so long as it remains a fairly simple process It can be done!
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Manufacturer Representative

Default Measurements.

OK,

So, at that size (18' diameter) I could custom tailor and deliver a welded roof cover with sewn/grommeted valance and any color wall cover with three windows for $3000 (maybe a bit less).

That being said, you should be able to do it yourself for less $ than that. For the roof cover I use an '18 oz. vinyl laminated polyester' which is heat sealable. If you have exact measurements there are companies who will actually pre-fabricate it with all the heat seams already done. Considering that a heat welder for vinyl costs several thousand dollars this would be a good idea for starters. Also the vinyl has to be a certain quality for heat seaming which they would know about.

As for the valance strip you could sew that on yourself fairly easily. Any type of water/fire/mildew resistant fabric will do for the valance. I use '1680 Denier ballistic nylon'.

Wall cover can also be 13-18 oz. vinyl. Though, I prefer a certain fabric which is 15 oz. polyester with acrylic treatment. For my taste, this canvas type fabric is nicer to the touch and looks more natural than the shiny plastic look of the vinyl. Though, this fabric is triple the cost per yard of the vinyl.

I'm sure there are alot of companies that could fill this type of an order for you (Not sure about Canada though). Maybe a private message would be more appropriatte for suppliers and how to setup an account. The company I deal with requires a trade name and federal tax ID #.

By the way, missing Canada myself. I went to Uni in Vancouver, they have no poutine here!

-Cheers
Dan R-M likes this.
Surely Yurts - Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt Covering

Wise,

Have you checked out Seattle Fabrics?
They offer a solid product of vinyl coated polyester for yurt coverings.

I was wondering if you painted your billboard tarp? If so, what kind of paint did you use?

Anyone else have ideas of how to paint it? THey only come in white and black....

Thanks!!!!!
Kramper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

I used the white tarps they sell for those portable garages they are 7x almost what ever length you need they are made of pvc and are very easy to care for,and the cost a very low. I have also used swimming pool covers for my roof also cheap way to go. you can even by those insulated covers the use for concrete covers during bad weather. they have the insulating foam sewn in between two covers. just my two cents worth all my yurts were hand made by me and i am not very good with a sewing machine i did however sew the 2 foot hole in the roof of my first yurt by hand with a palm stitcher.
Jafo likes this.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

I covered my ger (the outer cover) with a Acrylic coated polyester canvas. I needed 30 yards (it comes 60" wide) and found buying a fifty yard bolt was less expensive than buying 30 yards. Offhand, I can not remember the firm I got it from, but will look it up. The

insulation

is layers of disaster blankets.
Woody
Woodyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hey Woodyrock,
I would be really interested in knowing who you went through to get your material for the cover.
I am about to order fabric for mine, not sure if I feel the Acrylic Coated Poly is weather safe enough or not...I don't want to use vinyl but really don't want this thing to leak water after all the time and $...I may use the Acrylic on the walls and a more bomber vinyl on the roof.
Any input appreciated from anyone
tp

Last edited by inthewoods; 02-18-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Yurt Cover

'chemical weld' I use billboard vinyl material with HH-66 as a chemical weld.
ktm2racing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Yurt Cover

Does the acrylic coated polyester that you guys use breathe well?
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moisture