Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

Platform Ideas?

Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 AM   #21
Yurt Forum Member

Default For Sapo

I am back at my home base in Zhuhai now.

I have link to the post setting foam company, and the link to the testing on video.

I don't have any connection to this company, and I don't have any direct experience with it, but it sure looks interesting.

GRA Services International - Home

50reeves's channel - YouTube

They are saying they hope to have an ecommerce website by the first part of February, 2013. I wish them luck.

Anyone in the group a lineman? I mean the electrical type lineman.

Rod
Rodyurtlocker.com
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #22
Yurt Forum Member

Oh, and for Jafo,

On the website they say the foam has no CFCs or HFCs but they don't say what it does have. It doesn't seem to require a lot of safety equipment to handle. That is a good sign I think.

Rod
Groovy Yurts
Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #23
Yurt Forum Member

Thanks Rod, that sounds like fairly standard in-slab radiant procedure and a good memory.
Anyone w more yurt specific pros and cons?
A couple cons comes to mind.....plumbing and electrical would need to be well planned before the slab is poured, and freeze protection.
Any owners or builders that considered and researched it?
Cost compared to platform?
It is pictured as an option at Colorado Yurt Company: Build a platform for your yurt , but not much said about it, "If the location for you have chosen for your yurt is flat and you have room for a concrete truck to access the area....."

Last edited by djspn; 01-16-2013 at 04:39 AM.
djspn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #24
Yurt Forum Youngin

That's gonna be expensive . . . .
Yurting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
Yurt Forum Addict

when we install radiant heat in slabs we put antifreeze in it. the slabs that we installed the heat in were airplane hangers at the local airport. so we wouldn't have to worry about freeze ups.
Jafo likes this.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #26
Yurt Forum Member

With water I would install a pipe loop in my wood stove, one side the inlet, the other the outlet, and just stick a cheap fountain pump in the pipe on the inlet side of the loop, (so the water would not be as hot going into the pump, and it would be pushing the cooler water into the heat source), and tell it to go to work.

My concern with using antifreeze is the environmental issues. It does eventually stop being antifreeze and you have to replace it. It is pretty toxic to animals and kids, I don't think most adults would be tempted, but it has a sweet taste I have been told. It is also hard to get off of your slab if you spill it, and it is very slick.

I wouldn't want to put it in my slab unless I had some kind of a closed system, and then I have a whole different set of issues to deal with. I have not really thought it out from that angle.

According to the EPA antifreeze only lasts 2 to 3 years... but with chemical additives I can extend its life from 150,000 miles to 600,000 miles. I wonder what kind of mileage I can get in a yurt? A little info here, but not very helpful; their main concern is heavy and toxic metal contamination, probably not an issue in this application.

Antifreeze Common Wastes & Materials | US EPA

Maybe with a non-pressurized system, sort of like the master cylinder in your car, a high reservoir before the pump letting out air bubbles and feeding a no-pressurized system you could monitor levels and feed that into a low pressure/high volume pump; hmm it is beginning to sound interesting and very possible.

Perhaps combining the heat supply with a water jacket on a wood stove would give a separated semi-closed system, and give you a heat exchanger into the slab, and potable hot water at the same time. I think that could be desirable whether you used slab heat with water or with antifreeze.

So many things to think about and so little time, space, money, hahaha, but I think even to have the ideas to play with is great.

Rod
Rodyurtlocker.com
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #27
Yurt Forum Youngin

They have some less-harmful anti-freezes now, with regards to children and animals ingesting it. Propylene glycol is actually an approved food additive. How 'less-harmful' it is is open to debate. It seems to be a bit harder on the physical environment, but mainly in regards to direct contact with wetlands before it breaks down.
Yurting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #28
Administrator

I always wondered why you couldn't use waste oil in a radiant heat closed loop system? The oils is never going to really go bad, it won't freeze, and since it was already used (for example, in your car), you are actually recycling it this way. Of course, I wouldn't coil it in a pipe and put it in the wood stove if using it though lol!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #29
Yurt Forum Member

You could, or maybe transmission fluid would be less combustible. I am still not sure they would be my choice.

I looked on ebay and you can buy a good number of different fountain pumps for under $50.00. One said it would pump 370 gallons per hour.

Using a SWAG or two and some calculations, I guessed that a 20' yurt with a pipe every foot would use about 310' of half inch plastic pipe, and would hold roughly 150 gallons of liquid.

The total circumference distance divided by the 10 (one foot apart), and divided by 2 because that might average the circumference, times the area of a half inch pipe divided by the number of cubic inches in a gallon. I don't promise it is anywhere close to correct, but it was quick and not too complicated.

I don't know how quickly that would heat your slab, but I am sure it would help the wood stove spread the heat around the yurt. In theory all the liquid in the system would make a complete circuit about every half an hour. I think just keeping the floor above the outside temperature would still be a great help in the direction of keeping the place warmer.

It took much longer for me to type this than to do the calculation, hahaha, and I am not sure anyone else will even think it was work knowing.

Rod
Rodyurtlocker.com
Old 01-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #30
Yurt Forum Addict

I should have also said we used the non-toxic antifreeze. the pink stuff they use in RV'S and stuff. If you use the heated water straight from the heat source you will need to temper the water a bit so it is not to hot for the pipe and fittings as well.if you take a mixing valve and mix the return water with the out put water you should be able to keep it around 180 degress which should do nicely. just a plumbers 2 cents worth.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moisture, yurt plans, yurt platform