Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

Looking For Pony Wall Plans And Examples

Old 12-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #11
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Looking for pony wall plans and examples

Yeah and a truss is a rafter.

As for a framed pony wall under the yurt wall, beats me if it would be OK from a structural standpoint. That building concept is so odd I doubt there is any engineering on the design. Good luck getting $$$ an engineering stamp on that.

If you set a standard Americanized yurt up two feet on top of a pony wall, the windows and entry doors in the yurt will be well above standard height. So, you either order the yurt with the offset factored in, -that's considered a special and will cost you accordingly- or leave the windows and doors out, and have a carpenter frame the openings at standard height. Good luck with that.

In my opinion, if you need extra room for storage, build a platform and use the space under the deck for storage. That will free up space in the yurt. Or get a smaller second yurt.

Better yet in my opinion is to build a conventional shed that can take abuse of use that a yurt can't. I sure wouldn't compromise the traditional design of any yurt, let alone a 30' that cost $$$$.

Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:13 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Addict

I've built three yurts, one of them a 16'er. The exterior wall was 5'3" high. The bottom of the yurt ring was exactly 8' off the deck. The roof pitch was conventional for a yurt. About 25 degrees.

Here's some numbers for you. If your 16' yurt has a wall 8' high and the pitch about the same, that means the bottom of the ring would be about 10'9". Add a 2' pony wall under the yurt and that gives 12'9" under the ring. Plenty of room up there for storage..

OK, how do I know this? I built a 10x12 barn shed on my

yurt platform

summer 2020. The side walls are 6'4" tall. I built a 4x10 platform on the end opposite the double barn doors. 6'4" headroom below the platform. The roof ridge is 10'2" to the bottom of the roof framing. There's 3'3" of headroom in the middle. That would have allowed my grandkids to sleep up there when they were younger. In fact there's alot of useable space up there. If you had your yurt up on two foot walls that would be about 5' of clearance in the middle. Plenty of space for a sleeping loft.

So based on what I have built, the heights would work. If I were you I'd erect the yurt, and live in it awhile. Then consider doing the pony walls. I'd just do another yurt, or like I did and build a small shed. Either way good luck.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 12-03-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 12-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Youngin

I did end up building a pony wall (or whatever you want to call it) for my yurt. Its a 2 foot, load-bearing wall between the platform and the lattice. The yurt manufactures (Nomad) designed the windows and the doors to accommodate the additional wall so that they weren't higher than normal. My walls are 9 feet tall in total, 2 feet of pony wall and 7 feet of lattice wall. I live in my yurt full-time and I like having the extra space that the pony wall provides. The trade off, of course, is that its more space to heat. The yurt is still super stable, even with the additional height, and has made it through gale force winds a number of times.
I put a few pictures in an album here- https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/mem...albums176.html
mbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #14
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks for the follow up!
Old 12-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.... It Can Be Done!! looks great.
Robbiebob24 is offline   Reply With Quote