Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

Looking For Pony Wall Plans And Examples

Old 07-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Looking for pony wall plans and examples

Hi - I am working on designs for a platform for a 16 foot yurt with 8 foot walls. I would like the walls to be taller so that I can put in a sleeping loft. Do you think that pony wall is necessary given that the walls are already 8 feet? If I do opt for the pony wall, I would love to look at blueprints/plan/sketches to give me a better sense of how to build it. If anyone has any to share or thoughts and tips, I'd be appreciative.

Robbiebob24 likes this.
mbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Looking for pony wall plans and examples

I am wondering the same thing.. Ive ordered a pacific yurt with 7' walls and would like to bump up the height.. did you build a pony wall? if so how did it go? Pictures?

thanks
Robbiebob24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 11-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Never heard of a pony wall in a yurt.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:45 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Never heard of a pony wall in a yurt.
IMHO it´s only an (mostly functional) element of room design - why not in an bigger Yurt?

Sometimes it needs a little bit of fantasy to reach fresh solutions.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

I still don't know what a pony wall does in a yurt. If anyone has an answer to this, I'm all ears.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
I still don't know what a pony wall does in a yurt. If anyone has an answer to this, I'm all ears.
It could help to divide the big space into some smaller areas with different functions. I can imagine, that people have other access to coziness as I have....
Old 12-01-2021, 01:56 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

By definition a pony wall is a load bearing wall. Classic example is a wall typically used on top of a stepped concrete foundation, to bring the top plate up to mud plate height. In fact I framed two of them in the lower level of my foundation. 'Pony wall' as the op used it completely evades me. I just don't see how that fits into any yurt structure.

A short wall, knee wall, half wall is non load bearing. Examples are: used up the side of a stairs, or room divider, see through wall from kitchen level to family room in a tri level, backer wall for base cabinets exposed to a living area, that has typically has drywall cover and outlets in it. All that is non structural. Pony wall is structural. See what I'm saying?

So mbear-or anyone else- any additinal comments about pony wall design in yurt plan, fill me in on what you are referring to. Thanks.
Robbiebob24 likes this.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:16 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

on the pony wall...
I am looking to raise the height of the yurt walls. That is why I want to build a load bearing wall that sits on top of the base platform that would raise it up 18"-24". Doing so would add needed height for a more comfortable loft.
I already purchased the largest Yurt I can 30'.
I am just wondering about stability for the yurt as a whole if it is raised up like that.
From what I understand most yurts are set on the platform base with just an inch of 1/4 in plywood sheet to keep it on the platform before adding any bracketing.
TSRalex likes this.
Robbiebob24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:03 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
By definition a pony wall is a load bearing wall.
I´m quoting the definition from Wikipedia below.....

Quote:
A short wall, knee wall, half wall is non load bearing. Examples are: used up the side of a stairs, or room divider, see through wall from kitchen level to family room in a tri level, backer wall for base cabinets exposed to a living area, that has typically has drywall cover and outlets in it. All that is non structural.
Exactly room dividers was in my imagination.

Quote:
Pony wall is structural. See what I'm saying?
Yes I see it, but disagree in such narrow thinking.

And with the definition of Wiki, I believe I´m right with an wider approach:

A pony wall is a short wall.

In different circumstances, it may refer to:

- a half wall that only extends partway from floor to ceiling, without supporting anything.
- a stem wall, a concrete wall that extends from the foundation slab to the cripple wall or floor joists.
- a cripple wall, a framed wall that extends from the stem wall or foundation slab to the floor joists.
- a knee wall, which extends from the floor to a countertop, rafter, or handrail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiebob24 View Post
That is why I want to build a load bearing wall that sits on top of the base platform that would raise it up 18"-24".
OK - I think I understand that you want a ring-shaped strip foundation on which you want to put lattice wall and rafter supporter, right?

In my eyes the term "Pony-Wall" for was confusing, as that is defined by Bob AND Wiki as "a short wall"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiebob24 View Post
I am just wondering about stability for the yurt as a whole if it is raised up like that.
I can´t see a problem of stability from the general Yurt-building view, but as higher the side wall, as more instability against stronger winds is given.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #10
Administrator

I am probably the only one sitting here thinking a pony wall is a kind of wall you tie ponies up to..
Bob Rowlands and TSRalex like this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote