Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Yurt Insulation For Full Time Living In Uk

Old 02-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #11
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Yurt Insulation for full time living in Uk

I live in my yurt in Oxford. I've got sheep felt for

insulation

and a Windy Smithy Louis Ranger. It gets too hot sometimes. Lots of thick rugs or carpet on the floor is a good idea too. This winter isn't cold though! Unless you're in Scotland perhaps. Last year was.
Vivilala likes this.
Joe Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Insulation for full time living in Uk

For the water problem you just need to stick Fabsil on the canvas at least once a year, especially on the side that gets most sun as the UV wears it away. £22 for 5 litres from ebay, 2 of those cans does it. I just got the can and poured it on and it stopped most of the water. Use a caulking gun around the edges and stitches. Ground sheet, stick some rocks under the stitching for the ground sheet. Decking with ridges on on to take away the water.

Nothing will completely stop these Atlantic storms though!
Vivilala likes this.
Joe Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 03-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Amelia View Post
Hi Where abouts are you? I'm in Wiltshire......good to find other yurt dwellers!!
Hi, I am totally new to the Yurt scene, i am currently thinking\planning on living in a year within the next year, when i graduate university. I am based in Bath and my bf in Wiltshire so it would be nice to get to know you guys and hear about your experiences living in a yurt!

..also have never really used a forum before so please bare with me!
Vivilala likes this.
Robkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Youngin

Does anyone know a good way to attach

insulation

at the crown of a bentwood yurt please..mine is velcroed to each of the cake like segments but Im having difficulty getting it to stay in place at the crown
tsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Youngin

Did you hear from anyone and did you live in the yurt...it is sometime later now!!
tsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:51 AM   #16
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsubo View Post
Does anyone know a good way to attach insulation at the crown of a bentwood yurt please..mine is velcroed to each of the cake like segments but Im having difficulty getting it to stay in place at the crown

I put some holes a few inches down and tied it to the crown using hemp rope. I found it held it in place till the canvas was added, which weighed it down and kept it there. 7 years down the line and it hasn't moved yet.

Hope that helps!
Amy Amelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #17
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Amelia View Post
Hiya! I'm a little late in the thread here (I'm a newbie), I live in Wiltshire UK, full time in a yurt. I made 20 ft yurt with my BF 3 years ago, but we separated and I'm now in a temporary 14 ft, but am planning to build my own 18ft over the next couple of months.

Re: Insulation....just a quick thing I have experienced.... for the UK I went for a wool/felt mix which is wonderfully warm and cosy, but it does have a tendency to wick the water through off the canvas above of your canvas tends to hold a lot of water. For our weather I recommend lining in between the insulation and canvas, using Tyvek house wrap. Extra, insulation and good wet weather protection :-D
Amy Amelia - I am going to live temporarily in a fabric yurt while I build my 30ft Smiling Woods Yurt with wooden frame walls. The temporary yurt will have a wool felt layer (plus a canvas, a silicone and then a polyester inner liner). This is in a cold climate in Pennsylvania. Is it worth getting 2 felt layers for added warmth? Helpful to hear from those who have tested out various configurations.
amaralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:52 AM   #18
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi guys,

Excited to have found this thread! I’m in Somerset in case any of you wescountry peeps are still active on here?! I put up a small (10-ft) yurt in my garden this summer not to live in but to use as a space for yoga and also offering 1-1 sessions. I do sleep in it some of the time as I love waking up here but have no idea how that will pan out after this very mild autumn breaks!!

Have a woodburning stove and insulated very simply using recycled wool felt (sold as carpet underlay) around the lattice and above the rafters. It’s directly in contact with the canvas tho so I’m a bit alarmed (and grateful!) for the warnings here. Especially as I’m quite allergic to mould.

When I light the stove it works amazingly and I really heat it through whenever it’s a damp day - but only for a fee hours. I’m looking into infra red underfloor

heating

as that’s amazingly low consumption. Not what I would have originally considered as I’d love this to be as carbon neutral as possible- but realising the practical implications of having a part-time yurt in a damp climate, especially if I go away for more than a few days… And then just read on another thread on here from someone with underfloor who says they have no condensation issues…

Any input on maintaining part-time-used yurts through a UK winter (am I mad to even try?!) or on underfloor

heating

very gratefully appreciated! Thanks :-)
Vivilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #19
Yurt Forum Addict

In a wet climate, heating the yurt every day with your stove, or any other source of dry heat, is very good.

I live in a semi arid climate that rarely gets wet and stays wet. I had no wool insulation under my waterproofed canvas cover. The factory waterproofing in my canvas cover was great the first year. After that first year though, my canvas started getting wet. Firing the stove would dry it out, unless it was raining or snowing heavily when it was being fired. My cover lasted about five or six years, the last couple years it leaked when wet.

With a cotton canvas cover in a truly wet environment, I'd consider erecting a plastic tarp over the yurt. I regularly see plastic tarps draped on top of canvas wall tents in high mountain tent camp.

If you regularly get a soaked cover, that stays wet, and results in the insulation getting wet as well, it would be worth it to install a tarp directly on top of the yurt, with a hole for the stove pipe, and tie out the tarp with guylines so the yurt isn't totally encapsulated by the tarp. Just pull the guylines such that you make the square tarp fit the conic roof.

Got no other suggestion. Good luck!

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 11-20-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #20
Yurt Forum Youngin

Smile Re: Yurt Insulation for full time living in Uk

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate your suggestions - and also just the report on how your canvas lasted. It's clearly something I need to think about ASAP before the winter really kicks in!
Vivilala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific yurts, insulation