Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Wind And Yurt!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Wind and yurt!

I recently moved my family into a yurt, and things have been great until last nights wind storm. I woke to flapping and noise and came out to see the compression ring shift (to my sleepy eyes) dramatically! It freaked me out. I have been researching this morning and I plan on putting 2x4 studs under each rafter as it says to do on Colorado Yurt Co's website. Any suggestions? Will this take care of the movement? What can be done about the flapping of the roof against the rafters?

Thanks

Sorry to those who might have received this message in duplicate. I sent it out to the forum before I found how to post a new thread. (newbie mistake)

yurt4seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Wind and yurt!

While I've never had to do this as I live in a hollow that get's no straight line wind, I've seen pictures where nylon rope is thrown over the roof of the yurt and secured to the yurt on the bender board. It doesn't go directly over but sort of around the top, and you can do multiple strands to cover the flapping. It does no harm to the yurt top from what I can see and it can be removed when you want very easily.
cmwingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

I use those dog things that screw into the ground and run a cable up through the kahanna and hook it onto the

tension cable

when it's on the ground or tie it down to a copper two hole strap screwed to the deck.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Administrator

What kind of yurt do you have, what manufacturer?
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have a 30ft Colorado yurt co.
yurt4seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Administrator

Something sounds wrong here. Do you have the metal brackets installed? I guess I am finding it hard to picture the

center ring

shifting. Can you post a pic?
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

You should check your walls for plumb. The yurt may have shifted in the wind and actually be leaning to one side a bit. If this is the case you should correct it prior to installing the studs or other tie-downs.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

I am guessing that the central ring rotated ??? I have found a good solution that I have not seen elsewhere....I used 30" pieces of Locust.....and triangulated at each of the four directions with timberlocks into the rafters.....Four of these pairs of struts.....one pair at each quadrant and I have had NO further rotation....for years....this is a homegrown 24 ft diameter....w/2x4" rafters....in the Hollow....but in a very windy part of the country.....
chsunspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

I am trying to add a photo of my 4 Quadrant roof struts...in my 24 ft yurt.and no luck so far
chsunspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

With no pics I'm gonna guess a simple solution to ring rotation. How about attaching t shaped 'Simpson Strong Tie' construction connectors to the rafter/ ring joints? (cheap and available at all Lowe's, Depot, lumberyards) They can be bent in a vise to fit your yurt geometry, and screwed into place. The connectors have holes punched in them for nails. But use drywall screws. Be sure you drill pilot holes or the wood will split or screws shear off.

Regarding roof flapping, I've had that on my 16' yurt. To cut down on the amount of flap, I took a 60' length of old 11mm climbing rope and knotted it into a large loop. Then I formed five small anchor loops equidistant around the perimeter of the big loop. I centered that big loop up on the roof cover, and anchored off the five loops with short ropes to my ground anchors. I sized it such that the loop is about halfway from ring to khana. That really cut down on the flapping.

I've seen pics of Mongolian yurts where they simply flip a few ropes over the cover and anchor those to the ground. That cuts down on flapping and also anchors the entire yurt.

Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None