Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Ticks In Or On Yurts, Eastern North America

Old 02-20-2023, 09:31 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default ticks in or on yurts, eastern North America

Hello again. My mind is on pests I guess; the only other posting i have made to the forum was to ask about mice prevention last autumn. I seem to be focussed on dealing with the difficult as I get ready to enjoy a summer in my Mongolian yurt.

I do not live in my yurt. It is in Nova Scotia Canada. I have a lot (!) of deer ticks on the property.

My brother believes a tick fell onto his body off the roof cover recently when he went to the door of my yurt for a quick check inside.

Does any one know of ticks hanging out on the outside of the cover (I have a poly cover from Groovy Yurts)? Does anyone have experience with ticks entering via the wall/ceiling opening? of course, the other means of entering the yurt is on peoples' clothing or pets or on mice. I have strategies in mind to minimize these vehicles. Just wondered how much ticks seek shelter or if they relate to these natural materials such as the felted walls in anyone's experience.

This issue exists here in eastern Ontario where i presently winter and through portions of the US. Please share your knowledge and experience so we can all protect ourselves and prepare as best we can and continue with community communication and learning. THANKS!

cgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 12:19 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: ticks in or on yurts, eastern North America

Beats me. But I'll comment anyway.

I don't recall seeing a tick in my yurt here in semi arid CO. My yurt is long gone, but the platform is in a field behind our house. I don't recall ever seeing ticks around here, so keep that in mind.

I HAVE found tick on me during camping trip in the Rockies a handful of times. I'm guessing I got them from walking off trail.

Ticks are always looking for a blood meal. My :guess: is they won't be hanging out in a place that won't offer them a meal. Strictly a guess.

Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:57 AM   #3
Administrator

We have lots of ticks in Northern NY and I have never seen one on my yurt. Yurts make a lousy host for a parasite.

Last edited by Jafo; 02-23-2023 at 08:30 AM.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:33 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

From the 'net: The NE U.S. has the most tick bites.

Ticks are particularly disgusting critters. Kill 'em all.
Old 07-31-2023, 08:23 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

I never think about ticks so they must not be around here. Therefore I know zip about ticks. Never saw any in my rustic yurts, in our house, on our pets, or anywhere on our property. The neighbors haven't mentioned them either. That's probably because this is semi arid and they just aren't around here. If they were here I'd know about it.

That said I have gotten a few ticks on me while camping, hiking, hunting or fishing areas that had them. Seems to me that would be inevitable if you live in 'tick country'. Yurts aren't tight like houses so I would 'guess' they would easily get into a yurt.

They are particularly disgusting critters and can make people extremely sick. A daily tick check is probably a good idea. I absolutely understand the concern. Unfortunately I have zero advice. Good luck. Edit to add I just found I already posted on this. No change since then.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 07-31-2023 at 08:26 AM. Reason: duh! haha

Tags
None