Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Any Yurters In Minnesota

Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Administrator

Default Re: Any Yurters in Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpprice View Post
Norther MN yurt wannabe here! My husband and I are relocating to the North Shore of Lake Superior and hoping to make full-time yurt living a reality within the next year.
Welcome to the site!

I know very little about MN except that I hear it is quite cold. Make sure you consider

insulation

probably first and foremost when designing your yurt, especially near a lake where winds are generally an issue. Reflectix

insulation

has a lot of positives, but it is not much of an air barrier.

You will find a lot of answers to a lot of questions here. Enjoy your stay!

- Jeff
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Youngin

thanks, jeff!
cpprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Manufacturer Representative

Send a message via Skype™ to Groovyyurts

and will be happy to put you in touch with two of our customers in MN as well - one just started living full time in it with family - in case you are interested in authentic yurts :-)
Groovyyurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Youngin

I'm new to the forum as well and currently in the middle of my second build. I live in Duluth now but I've lived/worked in yurts in Montana for the past couple years. Hopefully living in the new yurt full time by next spring! Excited to get in the forum, I have lots of questions and hopefully a few answers!
TORV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Addict

WELCOME TO THE FORUM Lots of good info here and good folks as well
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hello,

Welcome. We're looking into yurts for residential and commercial uses in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so we're sort of neighbors, eh?

You write that you worked in yurts? What sort of work situation? As I mentioned above we are looking into commercial uses so we'd be interested in any information you'd like to share about working in yurts.

Thanks.

Jim Curtis
Houghton, MI
Yooper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
Yurt Forum Youngin

hey neighbor,

I worked for a company that had two yurt restaurants, and one backcountry setup for guided (or not) skiing. We had a couple different "brands" of yurts going so I don't want to play favorites but you can see a pic of one on the

shelter designs

page. Have you seen the ones at mount bohemia? I haven't been in them but I think they rent them out, they would probably be a good source for regulations etc. in your area.
TORV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hey,
Thanks for the reply.
Would you let know what worked well and what did not with the commercial yurt buildings, please? Suggestions for improvements?
Been in the Mt. Bohemia yurts. All sorts of uses: ski rental hut, eating warming area, bar and grill, Safety Patrol, and lodging. Was impressed with the concept. (Why I'm on this list and researching). They used Pacifics - seemed okay. Was not overly impressed with some quality issues. Don't know if that was because of product or how it was implemented.
BTW, Bohemia is just down the road from where we're thinking about using yurts. You must have been up there?
Peace,
Jim
Yooper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi. My first time posting here on the forum. I purchased our first yurt August 2012. 24' Colorado Yurt via an estate sale out East of Harrisburg, PA. We have some acreage just North of Wolf Lake, MN (the 'Golden Triangle' between Park Rapids, Detroit Lakes and New York Mills) and set up started fall of 2012 with the platform. We completed the platform / deck Memorial Day weekend 2013 and Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, quite a few friends and family came over and helped with the yurt erection. This yurt is 7' tall wall, 2″x 4″ perimeter stud under each standard 2″x4” yurt rafter with CORR brackets on compression ring. We added on our own a vertical center post with a horizontal 8" x 4" board that rests just under the oculus or

dome

for potential snow load. As I write this, I am in the yurt (hanging out while the men are deer hunting) with 3 electric heaters running and with todays temps of around 35 degrees (feels like 23), winds at about 17 mph out of the WNW, the yurt is very warm. We are still deciding on our heat source. Wood stove? Wood pelleted or corn burning stove? I have, in good condition an old wood cook stove that may be just the ticket for heat source +. At this time, we are here mostly on weekends with intention of spending more time as we work on retirement. This will be our first 'long nights time' spending a bit of time in our yurt in Minnesota. It has been a dream of mine for nearly 30 years now (so be careful what you wish for!!!) to live in a yurt. It has been an interesting journey so far. Keep life simple and walk lightly. BEST PART for me... the land the yurt rests on is the land I grew up on ~ full circle. !!!
sailonfriesians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #20
Administrator

I always figured radiant heat to be the best heat source for a yurt. Pellet stoves are general forced air heat.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None