Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts

Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/)
-   Yurt Living (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt-living-f2/)
-   -   Any Yurters in Minnesota (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt-living-f2/any-yurters-in-minnesota-425.html)

CraftyCadence 07-24-2013 10:27 PM

Any Yurters in Minnesota

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums, but have had my eye on living in a yurt for about 10 years. Now I (along with my husband and two kids) are getting closer to our dreams, I'm curious to hear from anyone who lives in a yurt in Minnesota (or the midwest in general, I suppose).

We are looking to buy the 30ft Pacific Yurt with all the insulation, wind and snow kit, and tall walls.

Jafo 07-25-2013 05:40 AM

Re: Any Yurters in Minnesota

I can't speak for anyone in the midwest, but welcome to the forum!

djspn 07-25-2013 06:12 AM

I'm a Minnesota yurter wannabee, hanging here to learn as much as I can as it's a serious option when I no longer need to live near an ageing parent.
Please keep us posted as your dreams materialize.

Yooper Jim 07-25-2013 06:12 AM

Hello Neighbor,
Although at the moment are downstate living with and helping parents with later in life issues, our home base is on the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We are working toward a camp and/or business that probably will include at least one yurt. On the Keweenaw we have *heavy* snow (high 200 inches average, over 300 last year) so we too are looking at a sturdy yurt with insulation. Would be glad to compare notes, etc.

Shelter Designs 07-25-2013 09:23 AM

Hi Crafty,

We have sent numerous yurts to the Midwest, including Minnesota, for a variety of uses including full time living. Give us a call at 406-295-4661 and we will be happy to put you in touch with some folks to hear about their real life experiences.

Thanks!

CraftyCadence 07-25-2013 09:51 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

And thank you Shelter Designs. I hadn't heard of you before. I scooted over to your website, and the designs and standard features are awesome! I'll be calling you once I find my phone! :rolleyes:

genniemom 08-01-2013 08:53 AM

I'm jumping in here to say that I am also in the Midwest (near Duluth, MN) and looking into yurt living. I have a very large family and our dream has always been to live together as an extended family. We're making plans to purchase land and yurts to start out. I hope it goes well for you!

Pacific Yurts 08-01-2013 04:20 PM

We have plenty of customers in Michigan and throughout the Midwest, so feel free to give us a call if you need a referral in your area. 1-800-944-0240.

SeverTheTether 08-26-2013 10:48 AM

We are just finishing our Shelter Designs yurt that we put up not too far from Itasca State Park in Northern Minnesota. We plan on living in it full time. Just found this community recently, but look forward to being a part of the community!

cpprice 08-29-2013 09:34 PM

Norther MN yurt wannabe here! My husband and I are relocating to the North Shore of Lake Superior and hoping to make full-time yurt living a reality within the next year.