Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Any Yurters In Minnesota

Old 09-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #31
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Any Yurters in Minnesota

I know that this thread is older and wonder how your yurt project has come. I’m in Montana, so I know about the cold winters. What I like about yurts is how versatile they are. Whether living in the desert, mountains, or in the city there’s a yurt that will work for any and every location.

I’ve had my setup for almost two years now and it’s been great for living off the grid. The one thing that I highly recommend getting is an

insulation

and snow kit. It’ll keep you nice and toasty in the cold winters. I added a wood burning stove (make sure you vent it properly, the last thing you want is your yurt catching on fire.) The added benefit is that if you don’t run electricity you can cook on it. I used that for the first year until I ran power.

The cool thing about yurt living is there really isn’t anything that you can’t add to it that you’d have in a traditional home. I added some solar panels (they have to go on the ground. If you built your own yurt you could make it strong enough to put them on top) and a generator for backup so I have lights.

I went with a 1213 sq ft yurt from simpleterra.com/yurt-kits/, which is more than enough space for my wife and daughter and myself. I added walls for two bedrooms and a bathroom for privacy. I’ve added cabinets for the kitchen, and a sink.

I dug a well for water and ran plumbing to the yurt. The plumbing and electrical both come up through the wooden platform that I built for the yurt to be on. I also put in a septic tank last year. Before that I was using a composting toilet.

Really, whatever you can dream up you can add to a yurt. Or you can keep it simple.
r_alan22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None