Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Powering the Yurt
Advanced Search

Stove Pipe Horizontal Qn

Old 08-31-2023, 02:17 AM   #11
Administrator

Default Re: Stove pipe horizontal qn

You will want the horizontal option simply because the roof will eventually leak if you go through it. There are options to go through the

center ring

but then you lose the ability to open and close it.
Bob Rowlands and TSRalex like this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 06:33 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Addict

Yep. No flashing. BUT I've never seen one up close so there's that. I'm just thinking exiting vertically through cloth, its GONNA leak at some point.
Jafo likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 05:56 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Addict

I see no problem at all with a short stack run horizontally out the side wall and then into an ell designed for clean out. On 'standardized' larger American yurts I'm thinking that might even be the normal install for code reasons and safety. I really doubt there is any draft type problem with one ell.

Aside from 'no leak' an additional benefit with side wall exit vs vertical is cutting the percentage of embers that land on the roof. Not all necessarily, but I'm betting a whole lot less then with the central stack I used for six years.

I made a spark arrestor from 1/4" mesh. That cut the volume down substantially, but it didn't halt some from landing on the canvas. If my yurt was my primary home and a big investment that would certainly would have been a BIG issue. Flame retardant canvas-I didn't use that. But I WOULD have if I had a wife and children living in the yurt.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:18 AM   #14
Yurt Forum Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to UKadventurer

I can attest to the fact that roof penetrations for chimney flues will leak. I suppose you could prevent it with annual maintenance. We just accept that leaks will happen. We have one of those rubberized chimney flashings but it's not perfect.

This is the outside before the decorative canvas went up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chimney without finished canvas.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	1572

Then another (we have 2 of these gers) with final, decorative canvas installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chimney with final canvas.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	1571

The leaks occur on the top lip. Either copious amounts of sealant which tends to last only 1 year of our extreme weather, or an extra fly sheet would prevent this entirely.

So, I can think of experiments I could do with a mini-fly sheet just for the segment of roof with the chimney but the chimney pipe still has to go through somewhere. It'd have to be heat resistant. I've had my fair share of burnt canvases touching single wall chimneys. That being said, our chimney is double-walled and insulated so probably wouldn't burn/melt.

We didn't really see the advantage of a side venting stove because our walls are curved in the vertical axis too. So there'd still be leak risk there too.

Traditional Mongolian gers do leak. However, it's not a rainy climate. So they get wet and then they dry in cycles of wet and sunny weather for just the short summer. They aren't waterproof. They are designed to breathe. We just accept some leakage and deal with it. Most traditional gers just have roll vinyl floors and are easy to mop. If some rain gets in.

If you're in a temperate climate, like the UK, or the USA's PNW where it rains all year round, I think a side vent might be a better approach.
UKadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 10:02 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Addict

Here's an idea on REALLY sealing that stove pipe. Make a flashing sandwich with the middle layer being the cover. Inside and outside are sheet flashing with the cover trapped between the two. Silicone the crap out of the two sheet flashings and then screw the two layers together. Just an idea. Beats me how it would work in the real world.
Jafo and UKadventurer like this.
Old 09-24-2023, 06:57 PM   #16
Administrator

I think Bob is on to something there. I was thinking of something similar too..
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote