Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Powering the Yurt
Advanced Search

Split Heating Ac Units

Old 06-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Split heating ac units

We are trying to figure out if it’s possible to use a split

heating

air-conditioning unit in our yurt that’s up here in the Northeast Kingdom. Although we do have the

insulation

in the walls and ceiling and floor, We find on hot days it’s still can get uncomfortably hot and in the winter it’s extremely cold here so we need an additional

heating

source besides our very canadian drolet wood stove with blower, especially if we plan to rent it out on Airbnb. Has anyone use the split systems if so how did you install it? And are you happy with it?

kyms999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Split heating ac units

The units I have seen have been mounted in framed houses, either above a door, or high up on a wall near a flat ceiling. I'm gonna guess -and it is a guess only- that would be doable in a yurt, assuming there is framing member for solid mount, and mechanicals accessible for an install. Good luck..
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 06-26-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

I made a bench with a framed up back the height of the GER wall. Think of a large chair with a high wooden back. I made it big enough that it is stable with the interior portion of the split unit attached.

The bench also has storage under it.

It is slid almost up against the yurt wall and the supply lines come up through the floor. Works great.
TSRalex likes this.
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

We have had many customers use ductless units in their yurts. The air handling unit can mount onto the rafters, onto the rafter supports (if they have the snow & wind kit) or onto an interior partition wall. The coolant line goes straight down through the floor and out to the condenser outside.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 07:50 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Piggy-backing onto this post as I'm building and torn between in floor heat and window AC vs the dual purpose mini-split backed up by a wood burner. I live in MN so the colder temps are a consideration with the mini

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jeff
JFKoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 10:07 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFKoons View Post
Piggy-backing onto this post as I'm building and torn between in floor heat and window AC vs the dual purpose mini-split backed up by a wood burner. I live in MN so the colder temps are a consideration with the mini

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jeff
The one issue that we have found is the exterior units coils will freeze up.

You have to understand you are trying to heat and cool a tent.

It would be better if you used the wood stove to do most of the heating and let the split unit be the back up.

Overall it works well. Make sure the unit is for a larger space.

Chris
TSRalex and JFKoons like this.
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 11:00 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for your thoughts Chris.

Yep, understand how the mini-splits work, and like the fact that they both heat and cool, also know about the coil freeze issue--although some will continue to heat at -25F before there are issues--but those are $$$$--the mini I'm looking at will freeze at -4, so I'd be relying on my stove.

The more I think about it, I'm probably going to go with a closed loop hydroponic system with a Ecosmart or Elctro-boiler, and then just tough it out with a window AC unit during the hot and humid days of summer. We'll have a tinted

dome

and are well shaded.

Jeff
JFKoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 08:54 AM   #8
Administrator

The mini-splits I bought this year for my regular home are rated at -22 and were not that expensive. I bought two for under $10k installed.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:55 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Beats me what a mini split is. And I don't know zip about air conditioning.

That said, I did some redo on one of my contractors personal house many years ago. He had just had his HVAC sub mount a 4' wide maybe? AC unit above his front door. That unit pumped out an incredible amount of cool. It kinda blew me away. lol
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 02:24 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Beats me what a mini split is. And I don't know zip about air conditioning.
Really it is just an AC that works both ways. So like when your window AC is working and you feel the air blowing out the other side, it is WAY hotter than the actual air inside because it is basically working as a heat pump, pumping the heat from your room to the outside.

A mini-split does that but can also be essentially reversed (as I understand it). So instead, it will pull heat from outside (as low as -20+ degrees), compress it and pump it INTO your house in the winter. It will find heat even if it is just a little but compress it into a lot.

They are super efficient, using about 1/3 the power of baseboard electric heat. They are so efficient in fact, many utility companies will give you a rebate if you buy qualified equipment. Here in NY, that can knock your price sometimes in half. They are ductless, so they are great for retrofits.

Unfortunately for me, mine didn't qualify and since we are on municipal power there weren't a lot of options.
Bob Rowlands and TSRalex like this.

Last edited by Jafo; 07-17-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating