Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Rain Catchment/gutter System

Old 07-19-2023, 07:31 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Rain catchment/gutter system

As noted by others, the "rain catchment kit" for the Colorado (now Secret Creek) Yurt is not up to snuff. Plastic clips, nuts and bolts used to curve the overhanging roof material into a trough is no good. Clips break easily, plastic will degrade quickly in the harsh northern New Mexican sun, roof material must be perfectly aligned (otherwise sections bind up and there is no slack as each hanger clip is placed).

Prior discussions appear to be at least 8 years old now (at least those that I could search and find).

Since then has anyone come up with a better solution? I know

Pacific Yurts

sells a more robust gutter system with hanger bars attached to the rafter ends, but they won't sell those unless you've bought it with one of their yurts.

I've thought about using small diameter corrugated pipe to use as form over which to wrap the roof material overhang and then some kind of bar clip to hold the material at the grommets. But have not tried it yet.

Thoughts anyone?

TSRalex likes this.
jdbtaosdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 12:51 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Lightbulb Re: Rain catchment/gutter system

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbtaosdev View Post
roof material overhang
The valance?

Quote:
I've thought about using small diameter corrugated pipe to use as form over which to wrap the roof material overhang and then some kind of bar clip to hold the material at the grommets.

Thoughts anyone?
I do not really understand your solution (it seems I´m lost in translation....) but I would develop an system, where the gutter is attached to the valance. And I would add supporters for reducing the weight off a full gutter....
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:50 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Rain catchment/gutter system

Yes the valence. Couldn’t think of the word while typing, so improvised.

I’ll sketch something and post to get feedback if anyone else as tried something similar and if it worked or not.
TSRalex likes this.
Old 07-20-2023, 04:21 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

I know zip about gutter. Commercial or otherwise, nothing. Never done a lick of gutter work. But I won't let not actually knowing jack about it stop me from talking about it. This is the internet after all. ha

Let's say there is no commercial source. If someone was bound and determined to make their own curved roof yurt rain gutter, there is bendable light gauge plastic pipe that just might be utilized with some experimental work.

To get it readily bendable would require playing heat over the pipe with a heat gun. Or possibly a torch.

I have bent white pvc using heat from a torch with a flame spreader attached. Once softened it EASILY bends to shape. Doing that for an entire yurt would be firmly in the category of "I'm GONNA make this sumbitch work, dammit." lol Hanging it in place is all a guess. Rube Goldberg is your buddy.

Hopefully someone that actually KNOWS something about yurt gutter will post.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:33 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Lightbulb Re: Rain catchment/gutter system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Hopefully someone that actually KNOWS something about yurt gutter will post.
I can´t imagine that knowledge of "Yurt gutter" is existing. Each solution results on own ideas and its execution is depending on individual professionality....

My recommendation is to buy a typical manufactured gutter system.
The main thing is to connect it properly to the valance and to support the gutter, because on weight.
My favorite solution would be to mount eyelets with metal rings in the valance and to drill eyelets into the gutter too. Simple connect it with cable straps....
Old 07-21-2023, 04:37 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Here is the concept. Idea is to use the valence as the water catchment channel, as designed for the kit.
  • Hanger brackets, attached to rafter ends. Provides better support.
  • Valence draped over bracket, wrapped under a flexible tubing (e.g. pool noodle, corrugated landscape drain pipe) to hold the valence out from the yurt wall and provide structure. Tubing is hollow with holes to allow water to flow freely.
  • Strap connecting valence grommets to form the channel and hold tubing in place.

Attached image shows concept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yurt gutter.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1531  
Bob Rowlands and TSRalex like this.

Last edited by jdbtaosdev; 07-21-2023 at 04:44 PM. Reason: insert image
Old 07-21-2023, 04:40 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

hmmm image doesn't seem to display for me.

ok, went back, created album, uploaded photo, got link, edited post, inserted link. !!

Last edited by jdbtaosdev; 07-21-2023 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 01:29 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Here is the concept. Idea is to use the valence as the water catchment channel, as designed for the kit.
OK - thanks for the explanation - now I´ve a imagination of your imaginations.

My concerns on your solution are:

A) The valance rotten under your tubing

B) Too much tensile forces on the valance from the weight of the tubing and the water on heavy rain - although I don´t know how much rain you have in New Mexico. Do you have snow/ice situation in your region?
Old 07-22-2023, 07:07 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

The valence is part of the original rain catchment system so should be able to handle the water volume and weight. The failure of that system was the PLASTIC btackets provided to form the trough (picture a U with a bolt across the top) which hangs freely.

My design instead uses the metal hanger brackets screwed into the rafter ends to support the trough, formed by the drainage tubing and strap, from underneath.

The Pacific Yurt system does the same using the hanger bracket but instead of the valence trough they provide an actual fitted gutter. Sadly they won’t sell their system without their yurt.

And yes, northern NM gets good snow (Taos Ski Valley) and we’re just entering the monsoon season.
Old 07-23-2023, 02:01 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
The Pacific Yurt system does the same using the hanger bracket but instead of the valence trough they provide an actual fitted gutter.
OK - thanks for the explanation.

Do you know the following sites? Maybe they are helpful for finding your own solution....

Perimeter Gutter System:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/16...page=54#manual

Diagram XXXII:Gutter Parts:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/16...page=55#manual

https://ridetoride.net/raingutter/yurtgtr.html

Quote:
And yes, northern NM gets good snow (Taos Ski Valley) and we’re just entering the monsoon season.

Tags
colorado yurts