Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Everything Else
Advanced Search

Hello From Austria!

Old 07-18-2018, 12:56 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Addict

Smile Hello from Austria!

At first a friendly "Hello" from Austria!

Since a while I am playing with the imagination to have a yurt as permanent home. As experienced camper (former Boy-Scout.... ) I love yurts since I have spent a lot of nights inside them on a trip in Mongolia in 2000.
Although I know it will not be a good comparison to the modern equipped "Western-Style-Yurts"....

A while ago some searches brought me to the website of

Pacific Yurts

and their newsletter is always a positive momentum to bring me into "dream-mode"! I hope @Pacific Yurts is reading that....

Now I have - depending on some business developments - the idea for setting up office space with Yurts. And to add a private living area for me & my Lady too.

The main reason for using Yurts instead usual houses is the enormous flexibility! Not alone in furnishing, more important is the possibility to start small and to add Yurts as needed in quantity & size.
And - if it happens on unexpected situations - the choice to leave the current place for a better location.

My intention to join this forum was to help me in my evaluations and to bring a wider range of views and increase my knowledge about these wonderful houses.

Bob Rowlands likes this.

Last edited by TSRalex; 07-18-2018 at 12:58 AM.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Hello from Austria!

Welcome aboard!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Welcome to the yurt forum!
TSRalex likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:15 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

As I find today some pics on my Laptop from the - in my opening posting mentioned - trip to Mongolia, I want to share the unconventional use of a yurt for drying fresh slaughtered beef:

Old 08-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Now that is awesome. Ger jerky! What a good idea!
TSRalex likes this.
Hey Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

I'm new to this forum and came across the thread. Did you end up setting up a yurt in Austria? And if so how did it turn out? Wondering about winter conditions especially.
r_alan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
Administrator

Yeah, me too. I was just in Austria for a few days. Never thought to look you up and see how it turned out. Update please.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:39 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
Update please.
As requested :

On fact, that life is bringing often surprising changes, the project, mentioned in my opening post, has turned and my focus lays at the moment a little bit on other things.

But the wish is still alive and I keep myself permanently updated!

The problem with snow loads was my biggest concern too, but

Pacific Yurts

brought some good arguments and suggestion for solutions to keep the risk small.

We have in Austria an difference to the snow loads in regions with colder winters (e.g. Canada): After a snowing phase up to 5 days (up to 2 meters snow high....), suddenly we can have a phase with higher temperature and it starts to rain. That is the biggest problem, because the snow load will fucking increase.

Less difficult, if the yurt is permanently heated, but off grid and remote the risk of troubles is given.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:16 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSRalex View Post

We have in Austria an difference to the snow loads in regions with colder winters (e.g. Canada): After a snowing phase up to 5 days (up to 2 meters snow high....), suddenly we can have a phase with higher temperature and it starts to rain. That is the biggest problem, because the snow load will fucking increase.

Less difficult, if the yurt is permanently heated, but off grid and remote the risk of troubles is given.

My Yurt is off grid and I only go in there a 3-4 times a winter to check it over and get a fire going to clear off the snow. Our average snowfall per year here is 4.2 meters. My Pacific Yurt handles the load easily, though once COULD add a center column if they were really worried about it.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
My Yurt is off grid and I only go in there a 3-4 times a winter to check it over and get a fire going to clear off the snow. Our average snowfall per year here is 4.2 meters. My Pacific Yurt handles the load easily, though once COULD add a center column if they were really worried about it.
I am not worried if such checks are guaranteed, or - as said before - permanent use of the Yurt with

heating

is given.

How long do you need for melting a high load of snow from your (30ft ?) Yurt and what kind of stove is used by you?

Tags
None