Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Starting The Journey

Old 05-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Starting the journey

Hello, First post here. Been reading lots of info. We are pretty close to pulling the trigger on selling our stick frame home and moving onto some land. We have researched a bit so far on subjects such as price and companies that provide yurts. Just to rule out missing anything though i wanted to see if there are any manufacturers in Canada that are reputable for purchasing a yurt from. Reason being, a) cost of shipping , and b) would like to support a Canadian business. We are located in northern Alberta, so we would without a doubt be looking for a company that could supply a wind and snow package as it is not uncommon to hit -50C for a week or two every winter here. We are a family of 5 so the bigger the better. i believe i saw a company that offers 40 foot wide yurts but i cant remember if it was American or Canadian.

Thanks in advance

Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Starting the journey

Hi wrencher welcome to the forum.

Yurt at -50 C huh? That's -58 F. I have made three nomadic uninsulated yurts, the biggest 16'. All heated with an air tight wood stove. I doubt I was in them at 0 degrees F. If so it was for two hours or less. WAY too cold. Single canvas wall plus drafty door = no heat retention at all. I have a nice toasty warm frame house just fifty yards away, so, no thanks.

Consider this. Wife and I lived in an apartment in Jackson Wyoming winter of 1978-79. It hit -50 on Jan 1 1979. That winter and temp are in the record book if you care to check. Our apt was one of four in a fourplex, at ground level. There was an identical apt above it, so we had a very well 'insulated' roof. We had an ice dam on the kitchen slider for some time, and couldn't open the door. Front door only. At -40 it is instantly painful going out without a face mask. At -50 you just do not go out by choice.

I don't know if you have ever been in a yurt when it is sub 0 outside let alone -50, but based on personal experience I wouldn't advise it when it is -30 and below.Just so you know, if you have no experience with yurts, they are not houses. They aren't insulated like houses. They are tents. Not insulated like houses, with r19 walls and r38 ceilings. Just so you know.

I absolutely suggest talking your plan with any perspective yurt CO and tell them the possible conditions, and see what they say. I have zero experience with modern yurt 'houses'. The manufacturer will know about reasonable temps for their dwellings, I do not.

Just relaying my experience with ultra cold. Guess I'd have to be in a modern 'yurt house' at -58 to see what it was like. lol Good luck with your endeavor. Regardless of what anyone sez, make sure you have one BIG AZZ wood stove and a massive pile of firewood.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 05-04-2020, 07:45 AM   #3
Administrator

I am assuming you are going to want an architectural yurt as opposed to a traditional one. Traditional yurts are awesome but at -50 and a heavy snow load, I would not go that route but if you want to check them out, then I would go no further than

Groovy Yurts

who IMO, make the best authentic traditional yurts. They are currently based in Canada: https://groovyyurts.com/ There are dozens of others out there, but I have found these to be the best and most reputable. They do take a bit of time from order to delivery because they are literally being built in Mongolia by a family, to order. You don't get much more authentic than that.

The only architectural yurts I know of in Canada are Yurta yurts, but we have very little information about how their products are: Yurta and here is one post we have about them in our forum: https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yur...yurts-544.html

If it were me, I would probably go for an architectural yurt built out of Oregon,

Pacific Yurts

. Perhaps I am biased as I own one, but we are in the Tug Hill snow belt where we average about 16 feet of snow each year and our yurt has held up perfectly. They are located here: https://www.yurts.com/

All of these would require about the same distance to drive if you plan on picking it up yourself.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Yes a structural yurt would be what we are looking at . ill check out those websites. it seems as though

pacific yurts

has made a big name for themselves and alot of people enjoy them. Like i said , i would love to keep it canadian made, but i also realize that it may not be possible and i may have to drive a distance to pick it up.Ill check into those other companies you mentioned. Thanks
Jafo and YurterRT like this.
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Member

you know if you build your own yurts you can attached smaller yurts/bedroom to your bigger yurt so everyone can have there own bedroom
YurterRT likes this.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Do contact Pat Ladisa at Yurta yurts. It's busy season so it can take some time for him to get back to you but very helpful. They have a snow load kit and of course the yurt is insulated.

The nice thing about Yurta yurts is ....no vinyl! That was a big selling point for me.

I was in one of their older yurts, (I think they said it had been on that spot for 10 years +) a 17' when it was -20C with a terrible wind and it was a wee haven. The small wood stove kept it toasty.
Kilcregagh Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Member

Kilcregagh Girl , I can not find Yurta Yurts, I seen Yurts Yurta.ca is that what you are talking about
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hello James
Yes, that is the very one. Yurta

There is lots of info on that site which may help too.

And try looking on youtube for Yurta videos. For some reason it took me a long time to find any on the inter-web (user error, obviously) but there are some good ones
For a start....

Last edited by Kilcregagh Girl; 05-13-2020 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks for the link KG.

I like that the maker paid homage to Mongolian yurts.

That's an ingenious yurt design. I REALLY like that he addressed the breathabilty of wool felt and the drafting of air through an operable

dome

. Potential customers likely will not think about the breathability and airflow in a yurt they are considering, unless they are actually in that model of yurt- like a model home- on a hot day, or in the winter, or rain wind etc., and notice some discomfort. We typically just take all that for granted in our stick frame homes.

The fact the wall fabric bottom is ratchet strapped to the platform, and that the windows do not appear to be operable, make for a VERY tight design. So, the breathability of felt is a key feature.

I am VERY impressed you are doing this yourself. You are doing good. Stay positive and keep after it. Be assured you WILL get done regardless of hardship. Good luck to you.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your comments and good wishes. I've really enjoyed doing this work. My day job is rather sedentary so being out and about and hauling wood and drilling and cutting is the perfect antidote to being in the cube farm.

In fact the window are operable. I have also been in that yurt in the warmer weather and it is quite nice too.

I have a partner with building skills (and a fine selection of tools!) so not doing it entirely on my own and happily our skill sets marry up so we don't have to fumble about too much. But a round floor out of 2x6 lumber does present a good challenge.

Tags
None