Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Water Under Door Thresholds.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:44 AM   #21
Yurt Forum Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to UKadventurer
Default Re: Water under door thresholds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ED6FF295-B43A-41B3-8771-067ABE332551.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1333

This diagram is intended to clarify what I discussed in my previous post.
UKadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #22
Yurt Forum Addict

Attach a thin wood strip drip edge somewhat thicker than your sill to the front edge of the sill. Smear adhesive all over the drip edge and screw or nail in place. The adhesive will not only stick but also seal it from water.
UKadventurer likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 09-01-2022, 09:20 PM   #23
Yurt Forum Addict

Name:	C4EFEA56-A6C9-4CCA-BA57-DFB74DD851BF.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	4.50 MB
ID:	1334

Name:	A74C47A0-381B-48A9-B526-2DFE313C6047.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	5.33 MB
ID:	1335

I’ve got some extra lattice wood in random, but short lengths. I could use that. However, due to the much wider door threshold, I think aluminum sheet cut to length and depth then screwed and glued would look nicer. It’s quite ugly at the moment and aluminum might dress it up somewhat.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:35 PM   #24
Yurt Forum Addict

I see a simple fix thanks to the photo.

Copy and paste in the Google search box:

exterior door drip edge sweeps

Check photos in images

I'd think you could buy those online (at the appropriate door width) and have them shipped to your locale? I have successfully retrofitted a few of the extruded aluminum variety with the large curved lip and the integral sweep.

Additionally in your specific application I would bevel the tack strip AND bottom plate that is directly under the center of the door sufficiently such that the drip edge will shed water onto the bevel. That will help keep water from pooling under the door. Also, if you haven't already done it, caulk the seam under the side lites. Good luck.
TSRalex likes this.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:08 AM   #25
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
I'd think you could buy those online (at the appropriate door width) and have them shipped to your locale? I have successfully retrofitted a few of the extruded aluminum variety with the large curved lip and the integral sweep.
If it fits not really for the current situation, but maybe for other readers:

https://www.amazon.com/door-drip-edg...door+drip+edge

It the offered products are not appropriate with the needed door width, I can imagine, that it isn´t a big problem to cut an bigger length....
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:53 AM   #26
Yurt Forum Addict

I may not have explained myself well. Photos with notes might help. In my case, water is NOT come in under the door threshold. The door is outward opening and has a substantial overhange and seal.

Name:	Door edge.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	1336

It's coming in at other points.

Name:	water ingress points around door.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	1341

Name:	exterior rain ingress points.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	1337

Clear evidence of leak around door frame.

Name:	interior leak evidence.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	1340

I don't have a photo of it, but before we had our flooring installed, the concrete foundation showed leaks under the bottom ring near the door (and windows) after heavy rain. I may have (mostly) fixed it with expanding PU but I'd like to add extra protection and dress up the entry.

This is how it looks now.

Name:	full door view no drip edges.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	1338

I'd like to add drip edges at the top and bottom. Also, do a better job of caulking with clear or brown silicone sealant where there are gaps in the wood trim.

I've marked up where I think I'd add aluminum drip edges, probably formed from stock aluminum sheet. I'll do something similar with the windows but only at the bottom sill where the frame meets the foundation.

Name:	full door view with drip edges.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	1339

Sorry, for the confusion. I know the original thread was about water under door thresholds but it can come in at various locations. Windows and doors are frequent leak points, right?
Old 09-02-2022, 03:37 PM   #27
Yurt Forum Addict

OK. Caulk is your friend in this application. I'd caulk every/all exterior and interior seams at the door. The lites, the door, the plates....all seams.

The drip edge sweep I mentioned is designed to shed water onto a slope away from the dwelling. That's why I suggested beveling the ext trim and the bottom plate below the door. Water will not pool it will move away from the yurt. You could likely fashion a BIG drip edge yourself with flashing if you did not want to do the beveling.
Jafo and UKadventurer like this.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:46 PM   #28
Yurt Forum Addict

Additionally you might consider building a small awning at the entry, that tucks under the yurt cover above the door, and extends up the rafters a ways, and attaches to them to secure the awning in inclement weather. Driving rain blasting at the door is definitely hard to turn long term with simple sweeps and caulking weatherization.

Just tossing out some other ideas that aren't too much money. Fortunately I guess (?) you don't get extended rainstorms. We don't get them here. But, we have a huge porch so even if we did the ingress of water would not happen. It certainly WOULD occur because our entry door has none of the measures I have suggested.
UKadventurer likes this.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
OK. Caulk is your friend in this application. I'd caulk every/all exterior and interior seams at the door. The lites, the door, the plates....all seams.

I was thinking the same thing, especially a silicone based one. I am no master-builder so I kept my mouth shut lol..

I would just seal it up.
UKadventurer likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:24 PM   #30
Yurt Forum Addict

All great comments, chaps. It gives me a lot to think about.

Caulking - easy.
Aluminum drip edges - easy.

I like the awning idea but it's a step up in complexity, especially on a curved door and curved framing (headers and sills). I like flexibility and would love a retractable / removable capability for an awning - even more complex?.

However, the awnings may not be necessary. Our hallway / bathroom between the 2 yurts design is intended for wet or cold entry and exit with a substantial overhanging roof in the front where the door is. So in bad weather we could just avoid opening the yurt doors entirely avoiding rain and cold ingress. We're aiming to have the hallway/bathroom done in the next 2 months.

Our summers can be very rainy but only for 3 months, peaking in July. Most of the year it's very dry or snowy. However, our mountain location makes all weather conditions more severe.

Name:	Ger hallway front view.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1342
Note the roof can have a substantial overhang and the entry door faces south. Prevailing winds are from the north so there's less chance of driving rain towards the door.

Tags
pacific yurts