Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Seeking Advice On Waterproof Strawbale Foundation

Old 06-16-2023, 09:10 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Seeking advice on waterproof strawbale foundation

Hello, my first post, I am Marius and with my wife-to-be, we are having a yurt built, for which we are thinking of making a circular straw foundation on grade. We live in temperate northern Europe in Lithuania where we get wet cold winters and hot summers. We can't build a solid foundation like concrete where we plan the yurt and building a platform on screws seems more complex than using strawbales, which are easier to come by and more affordable. I have attached a drawing of how I currently see the layerings.

We are not sure if this is a safe option to protect the straw bales from both mice and

moisture

, and three questions arose: First, would a layer of rodent mesh on the ground alone be enough, or should the sides be protected as well if we were to add wood siding, if so, how far up? Second, does anyone know of alternative ways to protect the straw from

moisture

from something other than a tarpaulin or using what we already have: wooden beams, paneling, and lots of thick meter-long boards of various thicknesses and heights (see photo)?

8meter² tarpaulins are expensive and considering that they don't sell them in round or cylindrical forms I'm thinking there must be a simpler and possibly cheaper alternative.

Third question, I am thinking to have the wooden part of the platform sit on the straw bales instead of sandwiching something into the bales to screw into, thinking that the weight of the boards and plywood would be heavy enough so as not to move. Is this ok, or am I oblivious to a vital flaw having them separate?

Maruf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:15 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Seeking advice on waterproof strawbale foundation

I see my photos did not upload. Here are the links
https://ibb.co/GJP1mtX
https://ibb.co/0M2byXt
TSRalex likes this.
Maruf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt

Tags
None