Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Square Platform- Dog Houses- Adobe Floor

Old 06-07-2023, 05:31 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Square Platform- dog houses- adobe floor

Hello Yurt People,

I am getting ready to build my first yurt platform- climate is dry, Southern NM, winter lows in the mid-20's. Can be very windy, what snow there is melts off quick.

What are your thoughts on placing the yurt straight onto an earthen floor, like traditional adobe houses have? I'd imagine the platform exposure catches a good bit of wind, and in the winter loses heat.

If I do build a platform, I have two ideas.

One, I would like to build nooks into the platform to function as dog-houses for my hounds- inspired by old farmhouses where the livestock heat rose from the bottom floor. This would save me money and time building them their own structure. Any gaping problems in this, or ideas to integrate? How would you do it?

Second, the land I am building on has a lot of loose stone. Is there a way I can incorporate this into the foundation for any good use?

Many thanks!

Roof Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:53 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Square Platform- dog houses- adobe floor

Beats me about dog house stuff.

Traditional yurts have sat on the ground forever. NM is a dry climate and the lath would hold up many years.

That said I'd have a minimum of a tarp on the ground to keep out bugs and the interior nicer. Put rugs or indoor outdoor carpet on the tarp.

My yurts have sat on a low wood platform, which is WAY the heck nicer than any tarp floor. Yes it's drafty. So I caulked it.

Loose stone? Beats me. Get creative. Have fun and good luck.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 06-07-2023 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typos
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 06-08-2023, 02:24 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hey Bob, thanks for the reply. What exactly are the purposes of the platform? So that I can weigh up the benefits.

I was thinking to build a large square platform, rather than the circular I see most often, for simplicity, and to have an additional deck around the yurt. Is there a reason this wouldn't work/ people are building primarily circular platforms? Sounds like there is some anchoring component latching the yurt cover to underneath the deck, seems like you could build a square platform, and then feed anchors through easily enough? That said, I have only read about, not seen, these anchor systems.
Roof Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:58 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

A round yurt diameter platform on top of a square deck will work OK. Anchor the yurt cover to the round edge banding that extends up an inch or so higher than tthe actual platform. And make sure your square deck can drain. Gap the boards. Insulate between the

yurt platform

framing before you apply your decking.

Keeping your yurt up on a dry platform has many advantages over merely erecting it on the ground. I built a low platform.

To see my deck, Google images:

Bob Rowland homemade yurt

Mine is the rustic canvas yurt with green door and rafters either side. That will show numerous details.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None