Old 12-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Electrical Work Estimates

lol James, did you wire your yurt?
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Member

I did and made my own power supply , only blew up on me once, and then I learn how to dry wall and put in a window when I went thru the wall , so if you go to trap air in a 4 inch plastic pipe put on a 100psi pressure releif valvue on it lol
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Addict

220 service?

I helped my electrician wire our house. He had just retired from the union after 40 year career, 30 in heavy commercial including nuke plants. He traveled east to west coast working BIG jobs and final two years with wife in Hawaii wiring huge hotel projects.

But he still got gigged on 10 items on our house. Panel didn't blow though. hahah I'm no electrician and as result been bit by 220 twice and that was 2 times 2 many. My old partner knew a guy that had an eye blow out when he screwed up at a WYO power plant. My bro in law retired from PGE after 50 years as a lineman and foreman. Juice will kill you if you make mistakes. Glad you didn't get hurt.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:07 AM   #14
Yurt Forum Youngin

Sorry electrical wiring is waay above my skillset I think. I am missing the fundamental principals. I know it can be done - I spoke with a woman who wired her tiny home herself after much research and Youtube - it's held up.
amaralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Member

Three wire Amaralice, make sure your power supply is shut off you have power,ground,neautral, I do not think you will go further than that most fuse box will have a row or two of screws that is for your ground and neutral, or depending on your fuse , you will put hot and ground in the fuse, the one I have only has the hot, but everything I have ran into so far the neutral will be on the box, make sure you have your plug wired right easy enought flip the switch and then run and call the fire department lol no you can do it and it will be fine.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #16
Yurt Forum Addict

Most folks, myself included, draw a blank when staring at wiring. EVERYBODY has been shocked by 110. 220 at the panel is WAY THE HECK worse. Again, attempting to wire a 3 bed 2 bath house when you are clueless, this is NOT a good idea.

I'm a big time much a do it yourself guy, but not on work that can kill you maim you or send thousands of dollars down the drain. No chance in hades I'd ever tell someone "You can wire a 3 bed 2 bath house. Go for it." Not a wise idea.

Now helping a qualified electrician, that is fine. Non union residential electricians get started by having their licensed boss/foreman tell them 'do this do that'. They aren't going to get hurt. The boss is making sure of that.

Likewise replacing a switch or light fixture in a home, that is doable. Turn off the breaker. IF you really think about what you are doing, you just might pull it off. Laying out the wiring plan on a house? You gotta be kidding me?

Nothing personal but that is bad advive imo.

Tags
smiling woods yurts