Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Extractor Fan Exhaust

Old 12-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Extractor fan exhaust

Hello Folks,

I am wanting to install a Kitchen extractor fan into my yurt but I am stuck on how to take the exhaust out of the structure, I am for sure not creating any holes in my sidewalls apart from my wood stove hole.

So my other option is to build a chase box and take the exhaust out of the floor and to the side of the yurt. With this idea I am not sure forcing warm/hot air down is going to be very efficient and I would have to have a drain in the 90 where it would turn to go to the edge of the platform.

I know from seeing dryer vents put under nether decks that I have to take that warm/wet air to the side of the platform of I will cause damage to the platform framing.

How else have people handled this?

At the moment my wood stove draws air from the yurt but when I install this kitchen fan I plan on installing a direct fresh air feed to the wood stove to prevent any pressure issues and cold drafts into the yurt.

Cheers

jo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:47 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Extractor fan exhaust

I have installed cabinets in hundreds of kitchens over the last 37 years. Very few kitchens have ranges in the island that have a powered downdraft unit placed behind the stove, and ducted into the floor framing to the outside. That's what I would call an 'oddball' design. I have seen it, but it is quite rare. I'm sure those are more expensive vs. a standard over stove hood vented through a wall or the roof.

But those installs are all in stick frame houses. Yurts are different. In my view if there's a way to design the kitchen so a standard range/cooktop hood can vent through the wall or roof you'll have a more conventional system with less design and install headaches. I haven't a clue how any of that would retrofit onto yurt wall or roof framing. Wish I had better advice. Good luck.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 12-26-2020 at 12:50 AM. Reason: typos
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:20 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo17 View Post
I am for sure not creating any holes in my sidewalls apart from my wood stove hole.
What speaks against it?

How did you regulate the air vent in the bathroom?

In my eyes the best solution would be a combination for kitchen/bathroom exhaust/ventilation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
....powered downdraft unit placed behind the stove, and ducted into the floor framing to the outside. That's what I would call an 'oddball' design. I have seen it, but it is quite rare. I'm sure those are more expensive vs. a standard over stove hood vented through a wall or the roof.
Such a solution becomes more & more popular in modern kitchen design, especially, if the extractor is integrated into the cook-top area.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

No bathroom in the Yurt, I have a bathhouse 8x8 building that's joined onto via breezeway.

Issue wit holes in the yurt roof is that I believe it voids warranty with

Pacific yurts

and though the roof is just a no go for me.

i'm also quite opposed to holes in the side wall if there's another workable option.

The extraction hood I have will install over the cook top perfectly and I believe has a large amount of power.

Any other input appreciated.

Cheers
Bob Rowlands and TSRalex like this.
jo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Administrator

Pacific Yurts

sell a "through the wall" kit for wood stoves, I am sure you could use it for this too. I would contact them and ask what other solutions they have.
TSRalex likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Ralex, the downdraft fan units I have seen installed (I haven't installed any myself) are designed to abut the back of a drop in cooktop. Both fit within a standard two foot deep cabinet. To get the powered downdraft appliance into the cabinet behind the cooktop requires both units being designed to work in conjunction, and power in the cabinet so the unit can be switched on as needed. The tinner needs to know EXACTLY where the cooktop cabinet will be placed, so he can stub up his duct during the mechanicals stage of building.

Once the cooktop and downdraft fan unit are installed, a sheet metal connection is made to the exhaust duct that is stubbed up through the bottom of the cabinet. Sometimes that connection is made through the rear of the cabinet into a wall, which is extremely tricky in such a confined space. This kind of stuff gets cussed at, believe me.

Either way, the cooking exhaust exits the home via the floor framing to the side of the home, or into a chase, and then out. For a fact a simple above stove updraft fan unit is WAY simpler. I have installed a few fan units while building the finished decorative surround if it is required that the fan to be installed first.

How this can be done in a yurt with no wall or roof penetration beats me. It either goes through the ring, or through the platform framing.
TSRalex likes this.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 12-28-2020 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:51 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Of course in some expensive new homes where the owners have spent tens of thousands of dollars on appliances, the owners could care less what it costs or what kind of headaches are entailed. They just want to push a button while cooking their ribeyes while entertaining from the kitchen island and have the fumes go bye bye.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:52 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

And yes...I'm glad I am retired. lol
Old 12-28-2020, 03:34 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
...downdraft fan units.....
......How this can be done in a yurt with no wall or roof penetration beats me. It either goes through the ring, or through the platform framing.
For me the way through floor and platform framing seems to be the best solution.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

Ralex that can work I have seen it.

jo17, you need a range hood that features a rear exhaust. Duct the hood exhaust horizontally out the rear into your conventionally framed kitchen wall, and down and out the

yurt platform

. Install a sheet metal chase behind the stove in a stud bay, down through the bottom plate, flooring, and floor framing to the underside of the yurt.
TSRalex likes this.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 12-28-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Tags
None