Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Ceiling/Center Ring Wood Stove Exit

Old 12-02-2019, 02:10 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Ceiling/Center ring wood stove exit

Hi,

Looking for some advice on venting a wood stove through the roof or tonoo of my yurt. I want to vent it this way (rather than through the wall) because I'd like to keep the heat from the pipe inside my yurt, and because the interior pipe is cheaper than the exterior, and I'm running low on funds at the end of my build.

Most of the info I'm finding is either for yurt wall exits or for roof exits for a house, not a yurt. Since my yurt has a much simpler roof than the typical house, which of the pieces on this diagram do I actually need in order to safely vent the stove pipe through the ceiling?

If I vent the pipe through the skylight instead, do I have the option of making the skylight operable, or do I have to have some kind of clear plastic fabric cover instead, because the flashing for the chimney exit must remain stationary?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 11.09.16 PM.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1171  
Pucks_poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Ceiling/Center ring wood stove exit

If you absolutely must go through the roof, then the skylight is the better option. The roof takes the most abuse out of any other part of the yurt. Personally, I would never cut my roof fabric. Sooner or later it is going to leak there.

I don't see you saving all that much in pipe by going through the wall. Maybe a section or two, but what you will end up paying for a whole new roof at some point? When you vent through the wall you generally have a 90 angle in the pipe (or two 45s). Much of the heat hits that angle and is still reclaimed into the yurt,

You also have to consider supporting the pipe. That isn't going to be easy or cheap if you go through the fabric.

Mine goes through the wall and was pretty simple to do. You open up a whole new can of worms when you go through the roof. That's just my opinion.
YurterRT likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Nomad Shelter Yurts

in Homer, Alaska vent their pipes through the skylight. You may want to look into how they do it.

The skylight also how many of the companies that sell traditional Mongolian-style yurts usually do it (here's a picture at

Suntime Yurts

: Wood Stove Heat and Installation — SunTime Yurts). I don't know of any examples off the top of my head of folks who send it through the roof fabric.
YurterRT likes this.
darcyoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

I don't know squat about stove pipe jacks that attach to tent material. I suggest you talk to a wall tent manufacturer like 'Davis Tent' in Denver Colorado, or 'Montana Canvas' about what to use for the stove pipe on your cover. The just might sell you one of their jacks, or direct you to a supplier. Realize you will get some water coming in through the hole with a cheap and simple jack as opposed to a residential house type.

In all three of my camping size yurts I ran the stove pipe up through the smoke hole. Of course the stove is in the middle of the yurt. I have one single wall fire rated stove pipe, that is surrounded with another pipe. I made all that to save money and the trade off was all the fiddly farting around getting the whole system installed. In hind sight, I would just buy a double wall pipe and bam son, done.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

BTW all the Mongolian stove installs I have seen online video and in photos appear to be single wall pipe going up through the

dome

or smokehole, NOT the roof cover directly, like in wall tents. Clearance from my home made doubled pipe to wood yurt ring is about 10" all around. It gets hot enough there with the stove cranking that I can't leave my hand in there for more than a few seconds. I'd say prolly 200 degrees or more. No chance in hell I would EVER run a single pipe up through that ring. It would appear Mongolians do it, but I will not.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:45 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the feedback! I'm now convinced about the skylight venting versus roof fabric venting, and have begun collecting parts to vent through the center of the skylight. I appreciate the tip about

Nomad Shelter yurts

, and will see if they can give me any pointers (and decide whether I need to adapt my

dome

design to brace the chimney, the way theirs does).
Bob, I agree, I definitely intend to go with double or triple walls plus

insulation

for the part that goes through the ring. Yikes.
Pucks_poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:09 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Here is a tip. Do 'NOT' install fiberglass

insulation

between a single wall pipe and another pipe that surrounds it. Or in other words a home made insulated double wall pipe. I did that and the fiberglass inside got so hot it created a huge mess over many burns plus stunk big time. If I were you I would just save up the money and buy a 'real' double wall stove pipe. Also, get a good spark arrestor for the pipe. The one I made kinda works, but not as well as a real one. Good luck and think safe.
YurterRT likes this.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
Manufacturer Representative

This yurt came with a square flap that tied down and covered the dome of the yurt.

I used 1/8" thick Lexan to flash everything & cut out skylights. Made a stove pipe outlet and cap with galvanized sheet steel and aluminum rivets.

The woodstove has a tapered stove pipe that goes from 5" to 6" so that the sections cast nest inside each other for pack trips... So we added another 5" stovepipe in the center of that one to create a double wall and it is working well.

Now the cover for the dome is just sitting there and really don't see a need for it any more...

-Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_SJR5716e.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1184   Click image for larger version

Name:	_SJR5719e.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1185  
Bob Rowlands likes this.

Last edited by Surely Yurts - Steve; 12-25-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Surely Yurts - Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hey everyone!

I hope I’m not hijacking this thread but I came on here with the intention of asking a very similar question.

We have a Mongolian yurt that has a centre crown, as you’d expect. The crown is divided into 8 segments; 7 glass windows and 1 filled with metal with a pre-cut hole for a stove chimney exit.

Our problem is that the crown can also be covered with the “hat”, which is a square piece of fabric that provides effective shade and rain protection, and is secured with ropes. However, once the chimney exits through the crown, we will be rendering the hat useless as it can no longer be pulled into/out of position.

We hoped someone might have some useful experience or advice?

Photos:
https://ibb.co/YPTJ4mq
https://ibb.co/wzVGTpw
https://ibb.co/rQvR559

Last edited by rbfx; 01-21-2020 at 03:30 PM.
rbfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

Have you considered installing a rocket mass heater instead of a wood stove? The exhaust is much cooler and your interior stays warm longer.
AutumnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None