Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Build A Yurt Ourselves Or Buy A Kit?

Old 10-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Question Build a yurt ourselves or buy a kit?

Hi. My family is thinking about buying land to share between several family members with between 2-6 individual homes. We aren't going to cut corners on quality and safety but we are trying to find the best budget friendly option. So my question is, which is the cheapest option: building a yurt ourselves (we do have the skills and the tools) or buying a kit? Is there a website where we can compare the costs of each? Thank you.

Multi-Generational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Manufacturer Representative
Freedom Yurt Cabins

Default Re: Build a yurt ourselves or buy a kit?

Have you decided on a fabric or solid wall yurt?

I invite you to consider a Freedom Yurt-Cabin. Based your skills, you and a friend could assemble a Yurt-Cabin in two days. The kit includes the floor structure, eliminating the need to build a separate deck.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions about materials, durability, or assembly.

Thank you,

Randall Bowers
Freedom Yurt-Cabins
303-344-0499
Freedom Yurt Cabins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Generational View Post
So my question is, which is the cheapest option: building a yurt ourselves (we do have the skills and the tools) or buying a kit? Is there a website where we can compare the costs of each? Thank you.
The big issue with building a yurt yourself from my understanding is sewing the covering. From what I have heard this is where most DIYers have the biggest trouble. It takes a lot of space and a very hardy sewing machine that can sew thick materials.

You might want to consider how you would sew the covering. If you find you could sew it then DIY yurt building by far is the lowest cost. And it does give you some serious bragging rights of being able to say you built it yourself.
ineffableone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

I sewed both the wall and roof cover for my 16' yurt. The wall started out as painters tarps. Very easy to modify. The roof cover started as a large tarp. I modified it to fit my yurt.

I didn't find either particularly difficult to sew, but they did test my patience from the sheer amount of time it took. I sewed both of them with a 50s vintage Singer portable, smaller than a typical sewing machine for making clothing. Where there's a will, there's a way.

It would definitely be best to use an industrial machine to make a cover from scratch though. Good luck.
ineffableone likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

I did the roof hole in mine by hand with a palm stitch er. took me almost a hole day.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

lol Marshall
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Administrator

For myself, I went with the kit. As much experience as I have with building things, I still think it would have taken me a long, long time to build a proper yurt. With a business, kids and wife, I have no time to offer it.

If you decide to build, just be sure you know what you are getting involved in.
Marshall Eppley likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

I enjoyed every minute of my first build everything went together without a hitch and i was really surprised when it stood up to mother nature and a 30 inch snow the first year with no one there to watch over it. I still have my first yurt tucked away under my cabin waiting for family to come to visit in the summer and put it back up for their use.
Jafo and Bob Rowlands like this.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None