Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Southern California Yurts

Old 08-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Southern California Yurts

Hey Fellow Yurt dwellers and future dwellers like myself...
I am currently fighting the battle with city hall about building my Yurt, but I was curious if there are any other Yurt owners in the So. Cal (LA county) area.
Please respond if that's YOU!

-Lauren

Dollofthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Southern California Yurts

Lauren,

We are also hoping to build a Yurt in LA County. We were hoping to find others who have done it, but have not come up with much. How is your fight going? Did you get a permit to build? Also, where in LA are you trying to build? We have not bought land yet.

Hope to hear from you!
Sincerely,
Adam & Cris
SoCalYurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 01-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Same here, Lauren. I'd like to find the spot to build my yurt, before I buy it, and just found out that I also need to buy land... In So Cal...? that can't be the only way? the only land available out here is either in san Bernardino or Palm desert (yuck)
I've been thinking about gathering a community of interested parties who have the same vision so we can have safety in number, especially a lot of us are women, and my biggest issue is just that - being all alone in the wild can be a little daunting for a girl on her own. I think small communities of yurt dwellers can shape a beautiful life where we all work together for the common good, and grow our own organic food and support each other with whatever talents we bring to the table, I'm talking about a lighter carbon footprint if at all, creating self-sustaining systems, Utopia baby! Any talented artists, nature lovers with mad skills, healers, coaches, spiritual teachers, and agents of change and evolution like myself with the desire to simplify and beautify while being one with nature; I don't know how this will come together and I know that it will, but it takes a village. Anyone else feeling this?

Last edited by AngelBWhispers; 01-26-2016 at 04:05 PM.
AngelBWhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

IMO women living by themselves should be armed. Carry an equalizer, that's why they were invented. You don't have to be big strong martial arts etc. and there is no reason to live in fear. Better to have it and not need it, then viceversa. Remember, when seconds count the police are minutes away. Unfortunately that is the world we live in.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
Administrator

A dog is also a good thing to have around.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

How goes the fight against city hall and the search for land? I am in Florida and looking to find a cooperative yurt community to join or create.

The previous vision of sustainability, harmony, and personal growth are exactly how I feel.
I feel trapped living a suburban life in South Florida. So I have looked at Western NC and that's nice but maybe not open enough. I have no clue about the west, please enlighten me.

Brandon
AngelBWhispers likes this.
Onaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

The western US is very dry, except right on the Pacific coast and west of the sierrs and cascades. YURTs do best in dry climate. That's just my opinion though. Plus the western US is very sparsely populated away from the state capitals as a rule. There are unbelievably massive national forests owned by you and I, and all US citizen to recreate on. I like that. Come on out and see for yourself. Wide open spaces and endless sky.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

BTW my wife works for the police dept, and I have relative that are cops. just sayin.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you for that Bob R. The forest has whispered my name and has called me home! I read all the posts and thank you for you reply. Is forest land free??? Even in So Cal?? what are those special permits everyone talks about? As you can see; I am a newbie and have many concerns. I have 30 days to pack up and leave my high rent beach apartment, and as of yet have no place to go... That's the scary part. The forest would be so awesome but not by moi-self! Definitely getting a dog, couple of kitties, maybe a goat lol! Love their milk, cheese and antics; are there wolves in the forests, if yes, then no goat. All jokes aside, it would be ideal to find a spot with a few yurts already established - any suggestions?
AngelBWhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

You could build a small yurt pretty quick if you had a mind to.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None