Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Repair
Advanced Search

Cleaning A Yurt Roof?

Old 04-30-2018, 05:01 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Cleaning a Yurt Roof?

Yesterday I washed my yurt with water and a bit of dish soap - prior to a nice rain (final rinse) and before the hordes of spring bugs arrive. It was very easy and looks fantastic! But higher up on the roof could use a scrub too - even more so.

The step ladder only allows a certain amount of reach. And there are steps and a walkway around a 1/3 of the yurt that makes step ladders not feasible.

I have an extension ladder too, but not sure if I can carefully lean it against the edge wo/hurting the canvas. Maybe some sort of homemade ladder attachment that distributes the weight and protects the vinyl with a soft, cushy layer?

Unless discouraged to best just live with a dirty roof, I'll probably make some sort of long handled tool with a scrub brush attached and perhaps weighted a bit and gently clean what I can. But figured I'd see if anyone else has thoughts, ideas, or experience with cleaning yurt roofs. Thanks!

Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Cleaning a Yurt Roof?

My advice is to find an old pool cleaner. You can usually dig one up at a yard sale or craigslist.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 04-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

In order to access the ring on my 16'er I simply lean extend my 24' extension ladder and lay it on top the rafters, parallel with them. Never had an issue with that.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Member

I have not tried to buy one, but I have used a friend's loooong handled brush that he borrowed from another friend who worked at a truck stop, washing over the road trucks. If there is a truck stop near you that offers such a service, you might ask to borrow, or rent it for an afternoon.

Rod
rodyurtlocker.com
Home Page.
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote