Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Repair
Advanced Search

Canvas Yurt Roof Needs Repair

Old 10-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
caz
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default canvas yurt roof needs repair

Hi, I have a large yurt - during a storm the roof ripped just above it's edge - about 500-600 mm completely in two pieces. The rafters are exposed atm. Luckily there's nothing in it at present. Can I repair it? It's canvas. Thanks for any advice

caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: canvas yurt roof needs repair

Hmm, I suppose you could sew it, but it would leak I would imagine. I don't know much about canvas. There might be something you can apply to it after you sew it.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 10-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

I have sewed up yurt seams with an industrial sewing machine that we just happened to own. We used 'seam sealer' product to water proof the seam. Worked great. Just need to make sure the canvas is still viable and not too sun damaged etc and then find somebody with an industrial sewing machine.

I also recently patched a yurt sidewall with this product (recommended by

Pacific Yurts

for repairs).

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Plast.../dp/B001F7E9VI
caz likes this.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

In my experience the best adhesive for fabric tears and holes and seams, and general reinforcement of boots toes and splits, is Aquaseal urethane. I have used many tubes of that stuff in the last few decades. Never found any repair to fail. It is industrial strength urethane. When cured it leaves a bombproof flexible seal.

However I never used it to patch a 2' long tear in yurt roof. I think if you first hand stitched the split together by hand from the inside, then Aquasealed a patch on the top, that might just work. Just so you know Aquaseal isn't cheap. You'll likely find the 8 ounce tube is necessary to get those tears covered. The stuff is runny, but can be accelerated with COTOL.

If you can get the cover off and get it stitched up, just cover that with an Aquasealed patch and there will never be anoher problem with a tear there again. If the tears are duw to old canvas, well... it is time to get a new cover as a lot more rips are in the near future. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
caz
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you for replying. Will give this a go and let you know how it went.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote