Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

Yurt Plans Review/help

Old 06-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt plans review/help

I came accros these plans for a yurt and wanted a few more experienced members feedback. I was especially looking at making the 24'

yurt plans

. Do they look like a solid design/plans? Are there any weak points I might need to watch out for?

Also it talks about using steel bolts for the khana... I have heard those can raddle in the wind and make it sound like jingle bells haha. So I would prefer to use something like rope to tie the khana together. Would rope be strong enough for your larger sized yurts?

I was thinking of doing a smaller test yurt before I make the large one but even so what are your two cents on the above.

Thank you all for your time and thoughts/experience in these matters.

http://www.laurelnestyurts.com/wp-co...urtbookweb.pdf

Please respect the makers of the plans and if you use them purchase the plans. Thanks

YurterRT likes this.
Is-ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Yurt plans review/help

I don't know squat about 24 foot yurts, or any partitioned yurt, so am not qualified to comment.

Building a 16' yurt will be a VERY good learning experience. I heartily endorse that idea.

I have built 16', 14', and 12' simple nomadic yurt. Those certainly can be tied with rawhide or good solid core braided cordage. I bolted mine with 1/4-20 carriage bolts. The mistake I made was using washers, which do in fact rattle if the bolt is loose enough to allow the khana to open and close easily as the wall goes into the circular position.

Good luck with your build.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 06-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

BTW the plan I used:

Clan Yama Kaminari yurt

Click on 'build it' on the front page. The listed sizes are for 12' 14' and 16' yurts. Simple

camping yurts

. The material dimensions are 'on the money'.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Lightbulb Re: Yurt plans review/help

Only for discussion my "quick´n dirty made" first raw drawings as "Kick-off-Step" for my project.

I have planned 4 yurts:

The living-space (30') with a loft (double-bed for guests) is connected with a hallway to the sleeping-room (24').
Beside a office-space (24') is planned and a yurt (16') for storage & technical equipment.

Except at the technical yurt I want to have very good floor

insulation

and a floor-heating. Additional a wood-stove (additional water heating!) in the living-space should create a cozy atmosphere.

The technical environment should be prepared for grid-off-situations too and a 23 kw Solar-Energy-System is supporting that.

Water purification is a important point.

I tried to integrate some aspects of Feng Shui......

Please have a look to my raw plan - I am open for all your comments & suggestions!

TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

How much experience do you have with yurts? Have you lived in a yurt before? Do you have friends that live in one, and have become familiar with yurts? If not, the conservative approach would be to build the 30'er, that has all basic amenities, and live there awhile. Tthen you can head into the 'build out' with actual yurt living experience under your belt. Just a thought. Good luck.
TSRalex likes this.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:00 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
How much experience do you have with yurts? Have you lived in a yurt before?
As described in my introduction I have had overnight stays in Mongolia. And I have experience with tents in general (slept/lived surely more than 10 full years of my life in tents or very simple alpine huts) and know such a type of yurts very well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Do you have friends that live in one, and have become familiar with yurts? If not, the conservative approach would be to build the 30'er, that has all basic amenities, and live there awhile. Tthen you can head into the 'build out' with actual yurt living experience under your belt. Just a thought. Good luck.
I am not the type of person for "conservative approaching".

And I need to have a comprehensive view for realizing my (our) project. Can not start with a single yurt for testing it and do not see that as necessary too.

I am interested in additional comments toward my raw drawing an project ideas.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Sorry. I didn't reread the thread. I've never lived in multiple dwelling scenario regardless or dwelling type, so can't make an experienced comment about such design. In fact I have never lived in a large Westernized yurt either, so no comment about that either. I HAVE lived for 3.5 months in a backpacking tent when in my early 20s and that doesn't really qualify either. I have a nomadic camping yurt out back of our place, and that is just a hang place out of the house for when grandkids vome over or I want some 'me' time in my rustic yurt.
TSRalex likes this.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

From a financial viewpoint I am frugal and cheap, of necessity. I do view investing in a tent homestead with a lot of sceptism. That's why I suggest one 30' yurt and live in that. See how yurt life works out for you, and go from there. With experience in that yurt on your land what to do will become clear from experience? That's my only comment. Good luck in your endeavor. Bob
TSRalex likes this.