Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

QUESTION: What Would You Do Differently?

Old 12-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default QUESTION: What would you do differently?

Hi, all! We're about to join the yurt movement. We live in Alaska, and are looking at

Nomad Shelter yurts

. My question is for the experienced 'yurter.' What would you do differently if you were putting up your yurt today? What was your 'rudest awakening' in the whole process? I'm looking to avoid mistakes by listening to the wisdom of others... Now, go! And thank you for helping me choose wisely!

frontierjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: QUESTION: What would you do differently?

I would have gotten a second door. You really want to be able to escape if there is ever a fire. They can be retrofitted by the way. If there is any way you can swing the real windows instead of pull-aways, then do it.

Don't cheap out on floor

insulation

, especially in Alaska. Spray foam probably being the best, get what you can afford.

The other thing I would have gotten was the screen door. I am not sure what features

Nomad Shelter Yurts

have, but look them over closely. I have heard great things about that company.
frontierjeanne likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 12-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

yurt

insulation

is extremely important in cold climates. if the area you plan to erect the yurt is wet you may regret having a yurt as your primary residence in short order. cloth doesn't handle

moisture

too well. there are a number of comments on this site by folks having problems with wet and damp yurt in the cold. imo yurts are best in arid climates since they are tents covered with cloth. in my opinion a small framed house is a better choice for extreme climatic conditions.
Wintergreen282 likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

A lot depends on which part of Alaska you are in. I lived quite happily in a wooden tapered side yurt in Fairbanks. Lots of insulation and easily heated. Not as mobile perhaps but all the round advantages, inexpensive to build. They go up in a week or 10 days if you have everything on site when you start. I would recommend them for a cold climate. Also not as subject to mold in a wet climate.
Wintergreen282 likes this.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

I agree with Bob and Delores. I've had luck living in my yurt treating it like very cushy camping. Comfy bed, toasty fire, bright spots to read or write, a convenient place to store food, cook, and clean up meals, a roomy area to avoid the wind, rain, snow or bugs. All my stuff readily available and can venture into the real world not *looking* like I'm camping (ie wrinkled mess with bed head.)

But the thin walls are less buffered by temperature. Expect wild temperature difference. Each winter day I routinely dress for both 45 degrees and 80 degrees. Trying to keep an even 65 or 72 requires constant attention or a disturbingly high energy bill. Like a cold glass of liquid on a hot day, yurts can have condensation issues. Not always. I don't here in NH, but the winters are mostly "dry" and the yurt well placed. And I don't have indoor plumbing.

That said, I love it and enjoy being closer to the wild outdoors. Yurt living is more about the HUMANS bending to nature. Having more time and less money, which our Western culture neither embraces or allows. And, frankly, many people aren't interested in. Pushing a button for heat and water is what they want so they can work hard at their job and relax after - and that's okay.
frontierjeanne likes this.
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Nature could care less about man. Natural planetary actions kill men all the time. Always have and always will. Man can't stop earthquake large fire tsunami volcano hurricane tornado drought monsoon heat and cold, the weather, asteroids, solar activity etal. All big cities and modern life and technology certainly weigh heavily on our planet and its rescources, but it easily kicks our butt whenever it ges uncorked. Much easier to temper climatic factors with a real house over a tent, every time. But it costs ya.
Jake likes this.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

Yurt living was simple because I did not have indoor plumbing. What I would do differently if I wanted indoor plumbing would be to build a small module of traditional 2x6 construction to attach to the yurt. The module would contain the kitchen, bath, and laundry.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

That is a sound plan. Installing plumbing in what amounts to a tent in an extreme climatic area is a waste of time and materials imo. Don't get me wrong, I love my yurt, but it is no house. Make no mistake a yurt is not even close to a traditional American home. A yurt is a an extremely good tent.

Tags
nomad shelter yurts